hf1

Night nappies

My avatar
pebbles08
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Night nappies

Postby pebbles08 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 pm

I have a very skinny 2yr old boy (think btp nappies on largest rise and overlapping waist tabs!!) We currently use bamboo pop-ins with 2 ll boosters. absorbency is great; but im suddenyl finding the rise isnt great and the tabs are almost at the end of the aplix (the exception to my fit rule!). Tried using boosted bamboozles, again absorbency is fine but the next morning he has large chaffed patches on the inside of his legs where it has rubbed; think it is because of the sheer length of time he is in it, as we dont have this problem during the day. I have tried boosting my blueberries, and this works; i just dont want to use my blueberries as night nappies!! Anyone got any suggestions or bright ideas? thanks x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Night nappies

Postby monsterm » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Are you sure it is the nappy that is chaffing & not the wrap when you are using the bamboozles? Switching to using wool soakers would help with the chaffing.
Another option would be to get some cheap btp pockets (like bumgenius) so that you have a good rise & the taps at the waist and swap out the inserts or use whatever combo you have been using with the blueberries. I have 1 bamboo pop in and it does come up very small on the rise.

HTH

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:15 pm

If chafing at the legs is an issue, why not put a minkee or fleece liner in the nappy sideways, so it is dangling out of the legholes and protecting his legs from the rougher fabric of the nappy? If using a PUL wrap on top, make sure the liner is tucked up inside the wrap. But as pp said, wool or fleece would probably be kinder on his skin than PUL.

We do this with our son, who has very sensitive skin on the inside of his thighs (and is prone to eczema there) and he's fine, although we can't use bamboo terry or cotton terry nappies on him as the pile of them really aggravates his skin.

My avatar
pebbles08
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby pebbles08 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:49 am

You are right, it is the wrap rather than the nappy that rubs; I haven't tried wool as I don't really know anything about it, so don't really know where to start! Suggestions/ recommendations as to what might be best?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Wool is very easy to care for really, sounds more complicated than it actually is. Measure your son & look for some on the classifieds here. They will more than likely just have been lanolised so you won't have to worry about doing it for a while. The way it works is that you can use the soaker either all day/night. They don't have to be changed with the nappy unless they get dirty. When you take them off after the day/night, leave them somewhere to air (I leave them on the radiator) and put on a fresh one for night/daytime. The one you took off can be used again for the following day or night. Wool only needs to be washed when it starts to smell a bit or if it starts to leak. It takes about 4 weeks of wearing for them to start to whiff. Then you wash them with a wool wash/soap (some people use the wool cycle on the machine) & lanolise them (which is basically letting them soak in a basin of water with some lanolin melted in it for a few hours) and they are good to go again.

Give it a try. I never looked back. Wool can be used summer & winter as it is breathable so warm in winter & cool in summer. Best of all, there is no plastic crinkling when you pick up your lo.

My avatar
pebbles08
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby pebbles08 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm

cool. thanks for the advice. I've started to look, and have measured ds; comes out at an 18" waist and 18" rise (rise measured over a nappy) and 11" thigh. How much adjustability do they have? Do I need to be looking for exact measurements or just close to? and can you give me an idea about price? some of them seem very expensive compared to preloved wraps? sorry for all the questions! x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Look for in & around the same measurements. Most wool soakers/longies have drawstrings so you can adjust the waist a bit. All measurements are un-stretched as well so you will have a couple of cm that way too. Wool does tend to be more expensive. First of all, soakers are made with 100% wool which is more expensive & then the WAHM knits it up so her time is in there as well . You will find that the ones knitted by moms themselves will be cheaper.

Another option I forgot to mention is fleece. Fleece soakers are good but not as good as wool. Heavier wetters definately get on better with wool. Fleece is just a throw in the wash job (any wash doesn't have to be with the nappes). One will do the night & maybe one or 2 during the day depending on how much your lo wets. Fleece is cheap too. It is not breathable though so it can be sweaty in the summer like PUL wraps.

Return to Night Nappies