hf1

Night nappies for a tummy sleeper.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Night nappies for a tummy sleeper.

Postby Bugglyboo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:27 am

We're using Bambeasy's and WNNN but by the morning Ed has completely soaked the front of the nappy and the back is completely dry.

Last night I folded the inserts so that most of them were at the front. This morning it wasn't too bad but it wasn't dry enough to use wool. I'm desperate to get him into wool because he wriggles loads when he wakes up and he's got red marks on his legs from the wrap. These aren't the kind of marks that quickly fade, They're going to take a few days to go :(

What do I do now? I really don't want to use sposies because we're using cloth to save money.

TIA
Jess

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Night nappies for a tummy sleeper.

Postby Louise » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 am

What do you mean the nappy wasn't dry enough to use wool? My children have always worn wool over their night nappies and even if they are saturated we don't get any leaks. You will also find that with wool the nappy will not be as wet as it would under a PUL wrap. This is due to the way in which wool works, it absorbs moisture from the nappy and allows it to evaporate. Wool can absorb up to 30% of its weight in liquid before it starts to feel damp.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:46 am

Sounds like either the wool is not lanolised enough or u need a more absorbent nappy or more boosting. We have found we need to lanolise our night wool more regularly than most people would and since ds is a fairly heavy wetter we use really absorbent night nappies and have no problem with wool.the wool can be damp in the morning but this is fine as long as there are no leaks.you can put a booster between nappy and wool if u need.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:52 am

I was wondering the same as Louise. I use WNNN on DS, he is a mega wee-er already, I fold the inserts so there is more at the front but the nappy is always pretty wet in the morning but it's never leaked through the wool. Also as Louise said the nappy will be drier under wool than it would be under PUL anyway.

Do you boost the nappy? I add a hemp booster to WNNNs which does help.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:54 am

Erin's the opposite, she's a back sleeper, so the back of her nappy is always quite wet and the front just damp :roll:
We also use wool over her nappies at night and although the wool arund her bum sometimes feels damp, it's very, very rare that it's passed through onto her sleepy bag.
(When this happens, it usually means it's time to lanolise :wink: )

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks, it sounds like I need to do some lanolising. The longies are quite new and haven't been lanolised very often I'll lanolise a few times before using at night again.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Jess

My avatar
mum2beagain
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mum2beagain » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:02 pm

What is lanolise? Lol new to cloth nappies

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Mumtobeagain,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, it's been one of those weeks.

Lanolin naturally occurs on sheeps wool and it's an oily substance that keeps the sheep dry. In the yarn making process, lanolin is stripped from the wool (most people don't need their wool to be waterproof).

To make longies etc waterproof, you buy lanolin in either solid or liquid form and then soak the longies in the lanolin solution. This needs to be done at least 3 times before the first use of longies otherwise wee can seep through. There's a fab bit about lanolising in the Pure Wool section of the forum.

I've got to go, Ed's just woken up but if you have any more questions, just ask.

My avatar
mum2beagain
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mum2beagain » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

thankyou very much for your help x

Return to Night Nappies