hf1

Do you have to use night nappies?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Do you have to use night nappies?

Postby ladybird » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:21 am

Ok, firstly be sure to make sure his penis is pointing downwards (sorry if that's obvious, just working through the possibilities, having 3 boys myself ;) ). Definitely try to keep the waist snug. And perhaps fold at least one of the boosters and place nearer the front, seeing as you don't need the absorbency at the back. Be sure that clothing is not too tight as you could find you get compression wicking.
Personally I always found fitteds and wool a much more reliable option, but if you have AIOs then that's what you've got.

I'm sure others will have more to add and I'll be back if I think of anything else. Nappies can work at night, I never used disposables at night with any of my boys, once we were in cloth.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 am

We've never had specific night nappies, just used what we have and boost accordingly. I'd suggest some hemp, as u have the microfibre and bamboo to suck up the urine but a hemp booster would pull the urine from both allowing them to be free to collect more liquid in the night. We use microterry, small bamboo terry folded in 3, then a wonderoos small & large hemp booster. Both my lo's cluster pee, so our nappies have alot to soak up!

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:42 am

gemma_louise wrote:Ahh help much welcomed (thanks :thumbsup: ).. I didn't cover because the nappy was an all in one (perhaps the 1st problem?). He slept in a vest and pj bottoms & his vest was soaked up to his chest & his pj bottoms across the waist band so all leakage from the top. All inserts were totally soaked at the front but dry at the back (he's a tummy sleeper).

The WNSS was bought preloved. The inserts are all a couple of months old so should be at full absorbency.

I perhaps did his nappy up a little looser than I should after the blue leg incident but the inserts were pressed against his tummy.

how attached are you to your vests and pj bottoms? if you leave the vest unpoppered or use vests with no poppers you are less likely to get wicking. similarly you may need larger pj bottoms souns like the waist band is pulling on the front of the nappy. i generally use no pj bottoms or sleepgowns instead. you may find fleece pj bottoms better :hug:

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:00 pm

you don't have to use night nappies but i have found them to be better- night notions and bed bugs are the ones i use. when dd2 is older might move over to wool covers as i have found that to work better.

if i didn't have specific night nappies i would try something similar to what you are all ready doing- bamboo/ hemp / microfibre combos

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 pm

I'd also get rid of the mf & replace it with easy peasy hemp. MF leaks when compressed so doesn't make a great insert or booster for night time. Hemp also absorbs a lot more.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:46 pm

What else do you have in your stash? I always found I got leg gape if I overstuffed a WNSS, so lots of leaks. I tended to find I couldn't boost a pocket enough to last the night. Do you have any fitteds that you could boost with your bamboo. Remember you can always boost between the nappy and wrap if there's no room left inside the nappy. I have also used two fitteds if I ran out of night nappies! Makes for a very big bedtime bum but didn't bother my two and lasted the night no problem!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:54 pm

We'd never get away with an AIO overnight, if you haven't got any fitteds, then perhaps get a wrap and use that over the top of your WNSS, they are the same shape as the WNNN so should work fine.

I'd 2nd getting rid of the MF, if he's a tummy sleeper then the pressure will just squeeze the wee out again.

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:00 pm

my advice would be to use a two parter, much more reliable. I don't use a specific night nappy, when Callum was younger I used tots bots bamboozles with ME airflow wraps and now he's bigger I dug out Aidan's old bumbles, they are terry with a fleece lining and a huge pocket, I stuff a easy peasy hemp insert in, folded in half and placed at the front. We've recently moved to wool as a cover and it is brilliant. Both the tots bots and bumbles were originally bought pre-loved and so were our wool longies so worked out much cheaper than buying specific night nappies. x

My avatar
gemma_louise
Clothie
Clothie

Postby gemma_louise » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Ok so penis was pointing down :giggle: & vest & pj bottoms are size 12-18m and he's only 10 months so they're huge & def. not compressing.
Tonight I'm going to try the Night Notions again but for the night after I will use all your tips.

Can I just clarify- do I not need any MF at all? I thought you always had to have a bit of MF for fast absorbency?

I have a hemp inserts so I will try that- how does this sound (starting from furthest away from his skin to nearest):

single hemp insert + long WN bamboo insert folded + LL bamboo booster (all inside the pocket) + long WN bamboo insert folded for more absorbency at the front + stay dry layer (fleece/minkee).

I only have pocket nappies & AI2s as they are my favourites so no fitteds to use. I have TB Easyfit V2, WNSS, WNOS & Itti SIO.

Thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

PreviousNext

Return to Night Nappies