hf1

Lack of night nappies in UK? What do you think

My avatar
shuck85
Clothie
Clothie

Lack of night nappies in UK? What do you think

Postby shuck85 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Is it just me or is there a lack of AIO and AI2 night nappies in the UK?
I know that there are plenty of two part options but I personally always struggled to fit a wrap properly once I have boosted them.

The French seem to love their AI2s so there are several different ones out there. I have only tried one brand now and must say that they are amazing because the waterproof outer is adapted to the large amount of boosting so is nice and snug and not gaping.

Would you be prepared to try new nappies like that? How much would you spend on a night nappy if it works well? Does the look of a night nappy matter to you, i.e. would you want to choose colours and buy embroideries? Do you order nappies from abroad?

I am thinking of testing more of those nappies and then start a night nappy online shop in the UK.
My idea is to first get several of each type to make some hire kits so that people don't have to invest immediately.

Any feedback welcome.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Lack of night nappies in UK? What do you think

Postby fivefourfour » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Just wouldn't use an AIO or AI2 nappy at night, no way I could get it absorbant enough.

The benefit for me is the flexibility of choosing what fabric, boosting in certain ways and putting boosters between the nappy and wrap etc. My daughter is an uber-wetter, though, so others may be better to give feedback.

Out of interest, what nappy/booster do you use at night? Is it a normal daytime one with extra boosting or a specific night time one with (for example, zorb and bamboo) for extra absorbancy?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:26 pm

I wouldnt use an AIO/AI2/pocket for nighttime. For a start I dont like PUL that much, I wouldnt want to leave a nappy with a PUL outer on my child for 12-14 hours. By using PUL you decrease the amount of absorbency in the nappy as its difficult to fit core absorbency in an AI2 and stop the nappy wicking over a 12-14 hour period.

I pay as much as I need too for night nappies that work, my WCDNN cost me pretty much £40 (now sold as I wouldnt get the fit right once Id boosted it enough) but then I also have £15 WNNN that Ive boosted with hemp and zorb to suit us. Cost is unimportant to me as long as it WORKS.

My avatar
shuck85
Clothie
Clothie

Postby shuck85 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:48 pm

I use about 4 layers of MF and 4 of bamboo during the day ( pocket nappy ) and 12 layers of bamboo at night in an AI2 and we don't get leaks although it's a BTP nappy and DD is only 12lb. There is even space for more boosting if necessary. They are the only nappies that work for us at night and without the boosters it also makes a great day nappy.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:52 pm

I wouldn't use an AI2 at night either. We don't find them reliable enough during the day let alone at night time. I also prefer the breathability of wool so tend to prefer fitteds and wool rather than pockets and AI2s. I'm sure there are lots of other ladies who do use them successfully though.

My avatar
shuck85
Clothie
Clothie

Postby shuck85 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:04 pm

the outer part is made of windpro, a breathable waterproof fleece fabric so no PUL

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:15 pm

I wouldn't use an Aio, Ai2, pocket nappy, fleece or pul wrap at night, but that's because I love fitteds and wool. I like pretty nappies though, and buy embroidered/coloured night nappies. WNNN are perfect for us though so I wouldn't spend more on night nappies than they cost. A dedicated night nappy shop sounds good though.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:33 pm

shuck85 wrote:I use about 4 layers of MF and 4 of bamboo during the day ( pocket nappy ) and 12 layers of bamboo at night in an AI2 and we don't get leaks although it's a BTP nappy and DD is only 12lb. There is even space for more boosting if necessary. They are the only nappies that work for us at night and without the boosters it also makes a great day nappy.

Wow that is a heck of a lot of stuffing, we never had to use any where near that amount with a dedicated fitted night nappy and wool cover x

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:07 pm

I've never bought a new night nappy, just got a few from classifieds, which have been enough to get us through. Before DD needed proper night nappies, we used to use a regular old Wonderoo V1 with a Wonderfull Hemp insert plus P'tits Dessous. We switched to night nappies when this combo was no longer absorbant enough and find the night nappies (2 parters) so much better for fit (and comfort I imagine). Definitely not so huge. We use either fleece soakers or PUL wraps for night, although I do prefer the fleece I didn't realise that when we bought the PUL wraps. We don't use 2 parters in the day. I'm not really fussed about colours/prettiness for night nappies, functionality is much more important as no one is going to see them! Some of ours are quite old and tatty now, but they still do the job, so I don't really mind, I quite like to think that they have saved a LOT of disposables from going to landfill :wink: Night nappies are very expensive IMO, but we can pretty much survive on 5 (without using the tumble drier) and we have saved a fortune by buying preloved.

Next

Return to Night Nappies