Night Nappy Help!

My avatar
MrsE11
Clothie
Clothie

Night Nappy Help!

Postby MrsE11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Ladies :)

I am VERY new to cloth *runs away and hides!* and my son will be 2 next month. He is a seriously heavy wetter.
Last night i popped him to bed with his WNNN with an extra bamboo in, and his flongies, and he woke at 2am absolutely soaked :( I popped him in a disposable as his other WNNN was in the wash and he was leaking out of that by 7.30am

He is only 26lb, 15inch waist and 11inch thighs, so as you can imagine he's pretty tiddly :)

I'm determined to make cloth work for us at night as well as the day but feel i need pointing in the right directions to help accommodate this power piddlers night time fountain!!

Any help would be massively appreciated!

xxx

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Night Nappy Help!

Postby bekhi1983 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:12 pm

My advice would be to try wool wraps, soakers or longies as they help to evaporate some of the wee and are a lot better than fleece. Maybe just buy one and see if it works. Pre-loved is great and they are already well lanolised and ones that are slightly felted in the crotch are great for night times as the wool fibres are closely packed so tend to be bombproof. Hth x

My avatar
MrsE11
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MrsE11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:26 pm

Thank you for your response Bekhi :) A friend has sent me a wool soaker to try tonight and my mum will be knitting us some merino longies when she returns from her holiday so hopefully we can find something that works :)
I've heard of pressure wetting but this certainly isn't the case as he moves a lot in his sleep.

Can i ask, what kind of night nappy do you use? x

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Wool certainly and if you stick with WNNN more boosting! I have WNNN and I use the hemp and bamboo inserts (V3 version) plus a Zorb booster, an extra hemp booster and another 6 layer bamboo insert which then lasts mine 12 hours with well lanolised wool over the top.
I also have lots of success with Holdens Landing Bedbug +, I have sized right up to the Junior size for absorbency and sometimes still had to add in another hemp booster. I also use Luscious Little Somethings Super heavy wetter nappies which I havent needed to add extra boosting too (they are very wet on the outside in the morning but not dripping which is a miracle!)
Mine is now almost two and has been this sort of heavy wetter from just after 6 months old. Hes had a few nights now where he is wetting less (he uses the toilet in the daytime) but for the most part I still need these ultra absorbent nappies.

Little Gumnut nappies are also meant be very good, I couldnt get a good fit on T with them although Im very tempted to try again with one !!

My avatar
MrsE11
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MrsE11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 pm

anothersquish wrote:Wool certainly and if you stick with WNNN more boosting! I have WNNN and I use the hemp and bamboo inserts (V3 version) plus a Zorb booster, an extra hemp booster and another 6 layer bamboo insert which then lasts mine 12 hours with well lanolised wool over the top.

One of my WNNN i can only get one bamboo in with the fold that comes with it as the pocket is extremely tight :/
The other i fold a bamboo for extra padding by his dinkle and then another one in normally right on the bottom for all over absorbency.

It sounds like i need to invest in some hemp - also, what is zorb!? I'm seriously new - as in only fully converted to day time about 2 weeks ago so please bare with me :) Still a big learning curve!

Thank you so much for your replies.. Hopefully with your help I can really get to grips :) xx

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:56 pm

We use wnn and ds1's old bumbles stuffed with hemp inserts. The wnn is the best of the two, I think Callum is an average wetter though. I'd really like to try a LLS when her shop opens after Xmas. Nappies with wool outers are good too, cotton outers are the worst overnight IMO, our wnn have minki outers and don't get as soaked on the outside as cotton outers.

My avatar
MrsE11
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MrsE11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Which nappies have wool outers as opposed to cotton?
Sorry for sounding so dense but I guess that's what comes with being a newbie lol
I only have ebay AIO cheapies and one itti otherwise - and neither of them would hold him over night :(
Hmm... xx

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Personally I wouldnt suggest a wool outer nappy for a clothie newbie, they need extra care when washing to make them last longer.
What version are the WNNN do you know? The WNNN I have (V2 and V3) all have huge pockets that I can fit bags and BAGS of extra boosting in...you are putting one insert (double one) in the pocket and snapping the larger one to the snaps and leaving it on top arent you? (If you are confused I can do you pictures!)
Do you know what the outers are, cotton/minkee? The minkee ones are certainly less prone to being 'wet' than the cotton...though I do have both and there isnt a difference in absorbency just the feel of the outer fabric.

Hemp is brilliant for night times and for adding extra absorbency, I have lots of it and wouldnt part with it, it holds the wet extremely well. Zorb is another type of man made material that is good for toddlers/heavy wetters who pee all in one go, it absorbs very quickly so when they have big wees the wet doesnt end up missing half the inserts and going straight to the leg elastic area where is soaks straight through to the front/middle of the nappy. Its more expensive but useful to have though Id recommend hemp (as its cheaper and more readily available) first.

My avatar
MrsE11
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MrsE11 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:23 pm

anothersquish wrote:Personally I wouldnt suggest a wool outer nappy for a clothie newbie, they need extra care when washing to make them last longer.
What version are the WNNN do you know? The WNNN I have (V2 and V3) all have huge pockets that I can fit bags and BAGS of extra boosting in...you are putting one insert (double one) in the pocket and snapping the larger one to the snaps and leaving it on top arent you? (If you are confused I can do you pictures!)
Do you know what the outers are, cotton/minkee? The minkee ones are certainly less prone to being 'wet' than the cotton...though I do have both and there isnt a difference in absorbency just the feel of the outer fabric.

I'm going to be completely honest and say I have no idea which version they are!
They are both cotton outers i know that much!
They both have the very long piece that goes into three, one part is minkee though and that snaps into the back

Fleece Liner........................
Inner side of nappy................
Minkee layer .......................
Folded layer ........................
Bamboo Folded .................... (by his dinkle)
Folded layer ........................
Bamboo .............................
Outer side of nappy................

Thats how they would look from a side section lol
Hopefully from that you can see how I've boosted them and maybe show me where I'm going wrong.
Thank you xx

Is ebay the best place to get hemp from? xx

Next

Return to Night Nappies