hf1

Switching from disposables to a cloth night nappy- advice?

My avatar
wigwam
Clothie
Clothie

Switching from disposables to a cloth night nappy- advice?

Postby wigwam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi

My DS is in cloth nappies in the daytime and disposables at night. He is 15 months. I'm considering switching to cloth at night too but I'm very nervous of this as he still feeds twice a night (more when teething) and we get through 2 sized 5 disposables each night currently - I usually have to change at the first feed around 1 or 2am otherwise he wets through. Even though we're using the biodegradable ones, I hate all that waste and would like to switch to cloth if it's going to work.

I've had a look on other posts and it seems that Little Gumnut All Hourse are recommended although they seem to be £28 to buy new! We don't have a tumble drier so I'm guessing I'll need at least 2 or 3 of these. This is obviously a significant investment, especially if they end up leaking!

Has anyone else made a similar journey from disposables to cloth at night and what would your advice be?

Thanks!
Laura

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Switching from disposables to a cloth night nappy- advice?

Postby cath » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm

I have a heavy wetter here although she is now in sposies full time as she refuses to wear cloth :( In sposies, a size 6 pampers will do her all night, although it is soaked when I take it off & I have to get it off her before she does her first morning wee. I found that the Bububebe nappies(canadian WAHM on hyenacart) with a flip insert to boost it and a wool cover were the only thing that lasted her overnight when we were in cloth. Although to be fair, I never tried the Little Gumnut nappies & I believe they are very good.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm

I've never used disposables at night but there are several dedicated night nappies that will outperform a disposable in terms of absorption. Little Gumnut is one, we also use Holdens Landing Bedbug Plus and Looby Lu's night nappies. Luscious Little Somethings Heavy Wetter night nappies are good too. I use wool over my fitteds rather than PUL so that the nappies will be less wet in the morning. (Wool is breathable and works by absorbing some of the moisture from the nappy and allowing it to evaporate) Fleece is also a alternative to PUL for use at night.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm

It is also possible that the superwetter night nappies will see you through the night without a change. I have not used an all hours but I do have a superwetter by the same company & Em (the lady who makes them)told me that the all hours hold a similar amount to the superwetter night nappies.

All hours rarely come up on classified but if you want to try, Sam has some here for £10 which is an amazing price.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=99637

TBH going on what you said, he needs a heavy wetter or superwetter night nappy and they are more expensive. Out of interest, what nappies do use for daytime & how do they preform for you? I have heard great things about the baby beehinds night nappy from women with heavy/super wetters. They might be a more affordable option for new nappies.

I keep on editing this post coz I remember more to say. I would seriously consider using wool over the night nappies if you don't already use wool. They allow the nappies to absorb more.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:04 pm

My DD is 9mths but still feeds 3 times a night (she's FF so 21oz) a WNNN will last with an extra two hemp or a mio size 1 and 1 hemp with a wool cover I have to make sure she is changed first thing though. To be fair if you've gotday nappies and don't mind a BIG bum I'd strt with what you have and just totally over stuff And try a fleece or wool cover if your changing a sposie carry in changing till you see how you fair.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 pm

We got our Bedbugs from Classifieds. V happy with them but they needed replacing before my DD stopped needing them, so had to fork out for more... It'd have been better to buy them brand new tbh. I'd probably try one type to start with and see how you get on. My younger DD only has 3 night nappies and we manage, although we do do a nappy wash most days.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 pm

we havev a super piddler as well, he is 11 weeks and feeds once or twice at night, I use mainly Little gumnut or Wildchild, this mornings LGN I could wring out :shock:

A super wetter from luscious little somethings would probably be best. Never tried the Bedbug +

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:19 pm

:wave: My lo feeds every 2 hrs throughout the night :night: :loopy: But I find that a wnnn or a meos boosted with hemp and bamboo with a wool cover sees her through the night with no need to change, I think she'd have the screaming abdabs if I tried to change her in the night now!

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm

I have no idea if DD is a heavy wetter or not but we use Bedbug +, Weenotions night notions (WNNN) and little Gumnut all-hours. they all work well for us (with wool over the top). The all-hours are driest in the morning.

Next

Return to Night Nappies