Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Wool Care including Lanolising Instructions

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Shamelessley stolen from Ali's site with a tiny bit of re-wording

Wool Care

Why use wool?

Wool can be used as an alternative to PUL or fleece covers for cloth nappies. Wool is more breathable than either of these materials and also has anti-bacterial properties. It needs to be treated with lanolin to make it water-resistant.

Wool is surprisingly easy to care for. It is self-cleaning and only requires occasional washing (when soiled or if it still smells after airing) and lanolising about once a month.

How to care for your wool

Most new wool products are lanolised at least once when you receive them so are ready to wear (but check with your seller first), although they will need more frequent lanolising to begin with until they are fully functioning. If they feel damp on the outside after use then they probably need lanolising.

After use, leave your items to air dry. They should smell fresh when dry – if not then they may need washing or lanolising.

Wool items can be hand-washed using a mild soap such as olive oil soap or other wool washes.

Lanolising

To lanolise using solid lanolin, add a level teaspoon of lanolin to a bowl with a few drops of baby bath and then pour on boiling water until it has melted and you have a milky liquid.
Add more water to the bowl if necessary (you need to cover the wool completely) and then, when the water is hand-hot, add your items. Leave to soak for 12 hours and then remove from the water. Roll in a towel to remove most of the moisture and then dry flat.

If you are lanolising more than one item you will need more lanolin; if you use too much your items may feel sticky to start with but will be fine.

WARNING: I would advise you to lanolise one pair at a time until you are sure that no colour will run out as it may transfer from one pair to another. (this did happen to me!)
If you are using wool cure or lanolising wooly washes then simply follow the instructions provided.

My avatar
deshablue
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Wool Care including Lanolising Instructions

Postby deshablue » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:58 pm

This was really helpful - Thanks!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:45 am

A bit in this 'Cloth Nappy Maintenance' information article as well (scroll down towards the bottom!)

http://www.clothnappytree.com/info.php?article=7 :D

My avatar
thepoosticksqueen
Clothie
Clothie

Postby thepoosticksqueen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 pm

excellent Thanks a lot, I have been looking for instructions as I plan to start knitting some longies for my 7 month old son

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 am

ho wmuch water do you use for 1teaspoon of lanolin and also how much lanolin doo you need to use for say a medium sokaer please

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:31 am

I use a 2 litres of water with 1 teaspoon of lanolin.

x

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:48 pm

i just use enough water that the wool is covered

My avatar
Scraggy
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Scraggy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:27 am

Just wondering, if you use a wool wash that contains lanolin do you still need to lanolise . :-?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:41 am

If it is a new pair of woolies and they need lanolising then you may need to use the lanolin to get them up to full go. Once they are fully lanolised then wash with lanolin is fine.

Next

Return to Pure Wool