Fave cook book?

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Fave cook book?

Postby ponygirl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello all,

I have about £20 xmas money to spend on a new cookbook, any recommendations? Want some more ideas for meald to go on the meal planner.

Was thinking maybe Jamie or Bill Granger but open to any ideas

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Fave cook book?

Postby Mareth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:17 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Sauces- ... 128&sr=8-1

Might not fit the brief especially, but this is the best pasta book I've ever read. I absolutely love it, got it from the library once and completely fell in love, so got a 2nd hand copy on ebay (it was out of print at the time). They've since re-released it. It's full of really simple, basic, excellent pasta sauces. We have at least 4 or 5 from it that we eat ALL the time! We have hundreds of cookbooks, but this is the most used one we have.

Honestly, I LOVE this book.

Need to get another copy actually as a gift for youngestBIL.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:23 pm

I think it depends on what and how you cook. For me it would be either Feast or Nigella Bites, both by Nigella Lawson.

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:11 pm

I love Delia!!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24 am

Ahem. I love the Takeaway Secrets books :giggle:

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 am

Hmmm I like pasta @Mareth unfortunately the oh is not so keen!

I have been looking at Nigella too, theres just so many books to choose from. I do like Delia too, but usually used her recipes for classics such as toad in the hole. Am looking for some new ideas for my plans. :D

That takeaway book sounds fab @Frances Do you need alot of ingredients to make the dishes seem authentic?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:13 am

@ponygirl

I have all the Nigella books and these are my two favourites for savoury dishes. How To Be a Domestic Goddess is brilliant for baking. The one I rarely use is How to Eat.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:52 am

@ponygirl quite a lot of the recipes do have a longish list of ingredients, many of those are store-cupboard ingredients though. I'm veggie and love the books, if you eat meat they would be even better. If you take a look on Amazon the reviews are amazing. Of the two books, More Takeaway Secrets is best, and they're usually less than £5 each.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Being a vegan house, I like my veggie books so probably no use really but we love 'another dinner is possible' it has some cracking recipes in for all sorts of lovely things. I suppose you can add meat/substitute if you wanted but the section on korean and other 'ethnic' foods are great for something a bit different.

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights