hf1

Cracker MakerPaker-Roni

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Cracker MakerPaker-Roni

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Try this at your peril, it is beyond delicious and SO SO bad for you! The quantities may seem ridiculous but it makes about 10 (3 kid large side dish meals).

1 pound elbow macaroni
6 T butter
1 medium pressed garlic clove
1 t dry mustard
1/4 t cayenne pepper - go easy on this it does make it 'spicey' I probably do 1/2 a 1/4 teaspoon
6 T flour
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
3 1/2 cups whole milk
about 20oz good cheddar cheese grated - YES I MEAN THAT MUCH! you can mix different types
Ground black pepper, salt
Crackers like Ritz (but do these as you cook the portions)

Cook the macaroni until its al-dente. rinse
melt the butter in a BIG pan, and fry the garlic mustard and cayenne until fragrant.
add the flour, to make a paste and cook gently for a few minutes
(what I do is) heat the milk so its hand hot, then add in smallish quantities stiring to make a white sauce. (I find its quicker and I get no lumps),
Add the stock, cook until its thick.
add the cheese and stir until its all melted. Season.
add the macaroni.

Then I portion out into servings and freeze. - Then I defrost during the day and then bake the same way.

You should - put into a dish, cover with crumbed crackers and cook on 400F for 20 mins until its all bubbly. Then try not to eat the whole lot in one sitting!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Cracker MakerPaker-Roni

Postby confusinglady » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:01 am

Sounds yum!
I always struggle to reheat macaroni from the freezer it always tastes funny. I think the secret is the al sentence bit. I must try it again. Dd2 loves any kind of cheesy pasta :)

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Cracker MakerPaker-Roni

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:02 pm

confusinglady wrote:Sounds yum!
I always struggle to reheat macaroni from the freezer it always tastes funny. I think the secret is the al sentence bit. I must try it again. Dd2 loves any kind of cheesy pasta :)

I always struggled too, but this has been 100% successful. I think the secret is leaving it to defrost then doing the baking. before I was always just nuking in the micro and it was always blah.

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights