hf1

Back to school meal ideas!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Back to school meal ideas!

Postby Louise » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm

@clothmama this is my favourite minestrone soup recipe.

Our quickest evening meals usually involve pasta/spaghetti or noodles- carbonara, pasta with veg and tomato sauce, chicken pasta bake, stir fries. Frittatas/omelettes and salad are also quick but we usually have them in the Summer. Soups are also fairly quick if you prep the veg in advance. I do this in bulk and freeze bags of raw veg to chuck in a saucepan/slow cooker.

I use my slow cooker a lot. Most meals are prepped then frozen in ziplock bags or foil dishes so they can just be reheated or cooked. In Autumn and Winter we eat a lot of stews, casseroles or curries. The meals I usually have prepped in the freezer are butternut squash and swet potato soup, minestrone soup, pizza dough and sauce, lasagne, chilli (veggie and non), lentil burgers and burgers, moroccan chicken, venison stew, sweet and sour pork, honey lime chicken. I also usually have chips and potato wedges prepped and frozen too.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:53 pm

Image r
@clothmama here's the recipe I usually do it with roast potatoes as the oven is already on so why not :giggle:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Silly question @louise, when you freeze wedges, how do you do it? Chop, oil, season, freeze? I was thinking of making chicken nuggets to freeze too. Do you they would work? Would you cook them first?

Would it be better to defrost or cool from frozen on the above?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:00 pm

ems101 wrote:Silly question @louise, when you freeze wedges, how do you do it? Chop, oil, season, freeze? I was thinking of making chicken nuggets to freeze too. Do you they would work? Would you cook them first?

Yes, very briefly parboil, oil, season then freeze. I freeze nuggets cooked and raw, it depends on what I am going to use them for. If its for a hot meal then I freeze them raw, if its for lunchboxes then I cook them so that I can put them straight in the lunchbox from the freezer.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Louise wrote:
ems101 wrote:Silly question @louise, when you freeze wedges, how do you do it? Chop, oil, season, freeze? I was thinking of making chicken nuggets to freeze too. Do you they would work? Would you cook them first?

Yes, very briefly parboil, oil, season then freeze. I freeze nuggets cooked and raw, it depends on what I am going to use them for. If its for a hot meal then I freeze them raw, if its for lunchboxes then I cook them so that I can put them straight in the lunchbox from the freezer.

Amazing, thank you x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:53 am

Louise wrote:
ems101 wrote:Silly question @louise, when you freeze wedges, how do you do it? Chop, oil, season, freeze?

Yes, very briefly parboil, oil, season then freeze.

I'm so glad you asked @ems101 as I have been wanting too and keep forgetting! @Louise how do you go about oiling them?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 am

clothmama wrote:
Louise wrote:
ems101 wrote:Silly question @louise, when you freeze wedges, how do you do it? Chop, oil, season, freeze?

Yes, very briefly parboil, oil, season then freeze.

I'm so glad you asked @ems101 as I have been wanting too and keep forgetting! @Louise how do you go about oiling them?

I just put oil, salt, spices, herbs in a bowl or ziplock bag, put the potatoes in and shake bag/stir in bowl until coated. I do this with big batches of chips too (cheaper and nicer than shop bought frozen chips)

Previous

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights