Random meal questions for a Monday!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Random meal questions for a Monday!

Postby clothmama » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Got some questions I was pondering on earlier!
  • How long would you spend each night (or day if you are an organised person and do it earlier!) on dinner?
  • How many nights a week do you eat a full hot meal? (I mean like meat (or not if you are veggie!) and veg type meals not beans on toast)?
  • How many nights a week do you have prepared meals (freezer or fresh shove in the oven type variety)?
  • What are the main things you buy pre-prepared?
  • how many nights a week do you eat a quick dinner (googy eggs and soldiers, beans on toast, toasted sandwiches type food)?
  • How often (if ever) would you have a salad for your main meal (summer and winter numbers :wink: )?
  • How often do you have a takeaway?
  • Do you ever have hot food at lunch or is it mainly sandwich type food?
Just trying to work out if I'm doing something wrong or if everyone spends as long cooking / shopping etc as I seem to :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Random meal questions for a Monday!

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:24 pm

Got some questions I was pondering on earlier!
  • How long would you spend each night (or day if you are an organised person and do it earlier!) on dinner?

As short a time as possible; juggling act of work, toddler and clubs need to be accounted for. I aim for 30mins from start to finish, 45 mins-hour depending on what I'm making. I do plan my meals around this though, so for example on a Thursday I finish work at 5 having had a clingy baby all afternoon, so Thursday tends to be a minimal prep meal; maybe pasta and some sauce. I do random roasts as I can put them on to cook earlier in the day and then just lob a few veg/yorkies in at the end. When I strip the meat off the bones afterwards I put half in a dish with the gravy and put some pastry over the top and then we have a pie ready to go the next day.
    If we make something like onion gravy which I find a bit time consuming i like to make a huge batch so that I can lob some in the freezer for a quicker meal another night (or caramelised onion gravy is gorgeous in risotto)!

I would like to have longer/cook more complicated meals, but there isn't time so I have to save that for weekend days when there aren't hundreds of plans! :giggle:
  • How many nights a week do you eat a full hot meal? (I mean like meat (or not if you are veggie!) and veg type meals not beans on toast)?

Every night unless we've had a main meal at lunch time.
  • How many nights a week do you have prepared meals (freezer or fresh shove in the oven type variety)?

I occasionally have a ready meal when DH is on nights once all the children are in bed.
  • What are the main things you buy pre-prepared?

Meatballs/burgers as I hate touching the meat, but I do make them unless they're on offer. Ready made pasta sauce is useful and occasionally a jar of curry sauce. Ready made pastry as I can't be bothered to make puff, I do make shortcrust pastry for quiche though.
  • how many nights a week do you eat a quick dinner (googy eggs and soldiers, beans on toast, toasted sandwiches type food)?

Not really.
  • How often (if ever) would you have a salad for your main meal (summer and winter numbers :wink: )?

Summer at least once a week, winter it's mainly only me that has one occasionally and then mainly as a lunch.
  • How often do you have a takeaway?

Once a month, maybe less.
  • Do you ever have hot food at lunch or is it mainly sandwich type food?

We sometimes have left overs. Quite a lot of soup is consumed here at lunch. Mine aren't huge sandwich fans, so more likely to have a toastie or an egg muffin.

Just trying to work out if I'm doing something wrong or if everyone spends as long cooking / shopping etc as I seem to :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I'll try my best! I think it depends on the family and activities. There are 5 of us - kids aged 4,7 &10. For the kids and mainly Bob we eat between 4:30 and 5. DH works mostly from home so comes in to eat at 5 ish then will work in the evening and the older go back out to do clubs.

1. I probably spend 30-60 mins cooking/ tidying whilst cooking, each day.
2. We eat a hot meal every night- sometimes roast lunch at midday on a Sunday.
3. Maybe once or twice a week we have shove in oven meals- pizza Friday and sausage beans and chips type meal.
4. We don't tend to have beans on toast type meals for tea. If I know we need a quick meal I ll do the crock pot or have a quick pasta meal.
5. We don't have salad as a main meal. Often have a salad on the table with pasta or chilli - as a side.
6. Very rarely have takeaway, in fact can't rem the last time!
7. We will have soup, or beans on toast or toasties, toasted wraps for lunch. Scrambled eggs etc.

Hope that helps!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 pm

How long would you spend each night (or day if you are an organised person and do it earlier!) on dinner?
Maybe 30-60 mins but I’m usually doing 10 other jobs at the same time :giggle:

How many nights a week do you eat a full hot meal? (I mean like meat (or not if you are veggie!) and veg type meals not beans on toast)?
Every night

How many nights a week do you have prepared meals (freezer or fresh shove in the oven type variety)?
Very rairly

What are the main things you buy pre-prepared?
Pasta, Gnocci

how many nights a week do you eat a quick dinner (googy eggs and soldiers, beans on toast, toasted sandwiches type food)?
Never

How often (if ever) would you have a salad for your main meal (summer and winter numbers :wink: )?
Salad is what food eats not food (well that’s the opinion of 3/4 of our house :hohoho: )

How often do you have a takeaway?
Not a luxury we have here in Gozo so never!

Do you ever have hot food at lunch or is it mainly sandwich type food?
Soup for lunch in the winter, pannini or other toasted wrap or sandwiches.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 am

How long would you spend each night on dinner?
Ten mins or an hour on sunday

How many nights a week do you eat a full hot meal? 2/3

Monday-bunny buffet aka picnic
Tues/Thurs-they are at their dads
Weds-Leon at child minders and gets hot meal izzy has a pack up on way to cheer, snacks on way back
Fish Friday- fresh salmon, cod, seabass or frozen battered fish or fishcakes
Saturday-pasta or pizza
Sunday dinner- Leon has shop bought roast chicken slices and girls have veggie sausages, tons of veg, potatoes and gravy(granules)

How many nights a week do you have prepared meals (freezer or fresh shove in the oven type variety)? I don't have prepared meals as such. It's usually one thing out of the freezer then loads of fresh bits to go with

What are the main things you buy pre-prepared? Pizza and Quorn stuff

how many nights a week do you eat a quick dinner (googy eggs and soldiers, beans on toast, toasted sandwiches type food)?

How often (if ever) would you have a salad for your main meal (summer and winter numbers :wink: )? Always eating salad but with something like fishcaKes

How often do you have a takeaway? Chippy or pizza once a month

Do you ever have hot food at lunch or is it mainly sandwich type food? Salads or pasta or picnic

"Just trying to work out if I'm doing something wrong or if everyone spends as long cooking / shopping etc"

I get a fruit and veg box delivered then I do small shop a couple of times a week. I don't like cooking and kids aren't keen on meals such as soups, stews,curries,one pot meals.

All meals are separate things on a plate :giggle: so whether it's hot or cold we get a main bit like fish, sausages,pizza then we have loads of different bits on the side like veg, salad, olives, cheese, crisps

They are then allowed unlimited fruit afterwards. Friday night we have popcorn or ice cream and Sunday we make apple crumble and custard

I don't like cooking, especially when I'm with the kids. It's not relaxing because they pick that exact time for needing undivided attention :hohoho:

I used to think home cooked meals was important to us but what we have now is much less stressful, less time consuming and they actually eat everything! Including tons of fruit and veg.

When I don't have the children i tend to work late and have no intention of cooking a meal for just me so again it's quorn or fish and salad

I find no joy in cooking whatsoever but I totally get why others do. Everyone is different :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:16 pm

Snow day lunch :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Very summery :hohoho: :hohoho: @littlesez

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:49 am

How long would you spend each night (or day if you are an organised person and do it earlier!) on dinner?

I have awkward children with sensory needs so I make 3 different meals almost every day. While I make Oscar and Eddie's food, I cook ours for later and if it's a quick cook then Libs has some of it, otherwise she has leftovers from our last meal. I spend about an hour doing all 3 meals but that includes some clearing up in between juggling the different components.

How many nights a week do you eat a full hot meal? (I mean like meat (or not if you are veggie!) and veg type meals not beans on toast)?

Mat works in a freezing cold workshop so we always have a large hot meal otherwise he would really struggle to warm up.

How many nights a week do you have prepared meals (freezer or fresh shove in the oven type variety)?

Probably about once a week. My Mum makes us cottage pie in little pots so that we can have the odd 'no prep' night. Ed eats this too so I only have to make a sandwich for Oscar on those nights.

What are the main things you buy pre-prepared?

Tomato Soup, puddings, I think that's it. I sometimes buy pizza but mostly make it at home because everyone likes it differently.

how many nights a week do you eat a quick dinner (googy eggs and soldiers, beans on toast, toasted sandwiches type food)?How often (if ever)

We do on a Sunday because we've had our main meal at lunch. Mat gets so hungry if he hasn't had a big meal because he burns so much energy at work.

would you have a salad for your main meal (summer and winter numbers  )?

I would in the summer but no one else will. I wouldn't in the winter because I get cold and the hot food is just so comforting.

How often do you have a takeaway?

Probably about once a week. I'm the only person who cooks, cleans etc so I give myself a 'weekend' to stop myself from burning out.

Do you ever have hot food at lunch or is it mainly sandwich type food?

I'm not too keen on sandwiches so will often cook some sausages or omelette for Eddie. I won't do a big meal but do love something hot. Especially at this time of year.

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights