hf1

Flora's Famous Courgette Cake

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:23 pm

I made this DELICIOUS cake last week, from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess, and I'm making it again today :giggle: DH liked it so much he wants me to make one so he can take it in for his team meeting at work tomorrow.

It's a delicious, moist cake, similar in texture and style to a carrot cake, but more delicious, and the limey-ness of the filling and topping is just heavenly.

For the cake:
60g raisins (optional)
250g courgettes, which is about 2-3, weighed before grating
2 large eggs
125ml vegetable oil
150g caster sugar
225g Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarb
1/2 tsp baking powder

2 x 21cm round cake/sandwich tins, greased and lined. (I only have one, so I do them one at a time :giggle: )

For the filling:
homemade lime curd (see my other post, here)
Nigella says if you don't want to make your own you can try and buy a very good lime/lemon curd. But honestly, the homemade one is so easy and so much better than even the very best I've had before, I don't see why you'd want to buy it.

For the icing:
200g cream cheese
100g icing sugar, sieved
juice of 1 lime or more to taste
2-3 tbsp chopped pistachios

Preheat oven to 180/gas mark 4

Cake:
Put raisins in a bowl and cover raisins in warm water to plump them up.
Wipe courgettesand grate (without peeling) using course grater, then put in a sieve over the sink to allow excess water to drain out (I do this, but have yet to see anywater drain out.
Beat eggs, oil, and sugar together in a bowl until creamy.
Sieve in flour, bicarb & baking powder and continue to beat.
Stir in courgettes and drained raisins.
Pour mixture into 2 x 21cm sandwich tins and bake for about 30mins until slightly browned and firm to the touch. (I have a fan oven, so it doesn't take quite this long for me)
Remove from the oven when done and leave in tins for 5-10mins, then turn onto a rack until cool.

Topping:
Beat cream cheese until smooth
Add sieved icing sugar and beat.
Stir in lime juice to taste.

Assemble your cakes with a generous layer of the curd in the middle, and the creamy icing on top. Nigella says to scatter chopped pistachios over the top just before you serve, but I didn't do that, simply because I didn't have any.

Enjoy, it's fabulous!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Flora's Famous Courgette Cake

Postby Shevi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 pm

how did you lose 5 kilo baking such yummy soundning things as that and other stuff youve posted??!!!
i'm coming to live at your house.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 am

LOL Shevi, I wasn't really doing much baking when I lost 5kg, also, it has stayed at 5kg for the last few months :oops: :hohoho: I certainly haven't lost any more with all this baking.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:I made this DELICIOUS cake last week, from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess, and I'm making it again today :giggle: DH liked it so much he wants me to make one so he can take it in for his team meeting at work tomorrow.

Enjoy, it's fabulous!

Do you reckon it would work with marrow?? i've just been given one the size of a small dog :shock:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Could well do. It doesn't take a lot of courgette/marrow, and it's not an over-riding flavour in it, really just supplies some moisture. I'd say give it a go :wink: and let me know LOL cos I might try it too hehe.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:27 pm

A quick bump :giggle: I have one of these in the oven now for DH's birthday tomorrow :D Yum!

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 pm

That sounds yummy. I'll give it a go, thanks. And what a great way to get vegetables into your children :giggle: :lookround:

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm

We've been making courgette cakes for years- definite family favourite :)

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Oh I might try this too, sounds yum! :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights