My avatar
cookiegirl
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Cooking with coke?

Postby cookiegirl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 pm

freckle wrote:
cookiegirl wrote:
freckle wrote:I've already ordered all my meat for the next few weeks so wont be able to try the gammon one for a while but I like the idea of a meal similar to TGI's! Mmmmm jack danials wings!!

I'm going to give the coke a go next week.

In that case you'd like this http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/5 ... 2691.shtml

but shhh don't think about the amount of sugar in the recipe :wink:

Oh YAY you! I even have some jack left over from Christmas!

I wonder if I could use the sauce to make pulled pork in the slow cooker?

:hohoho: That's what I used with our leftover Jack Daniels! A few years ago we wouldn't have had any leftover booze.
It is very sticky and syrupy, I'd be worried the brown sugar would caramelise and burn, even on a low heat. What about doing the pork plain in the slowcooker and finish in the oven with the sauce like a sticky glaze? Mmmm pulled pork! YUM

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:45 am

cookiegirl wrote:
freckle wrote:
Oh YAY you! I even have some jack left over from Christmas!

I wonder if I could use the sauce to make pulled pork in the slow cooker?

:hohoho: That's what I used with our leftover Jack Daniels! A few years ago we wouldn't have had any leftover booze.
It is very sticky and syrupy, I'd be worried the brown sugar would caramelise and burn, even on a low heat. What about doing the pork plain in the slowcooker and finish in the oven with the sauce like a sticky glaze? Mmmm pulled pork! YUM

That was my worry too! I've ordered a big cut of pork shoulder so I might just do what you've said and use half for the jack daniels pulled pork in case it's not a hit with all the family.

I assume that all the alcohol cooks off so it's ok for kids? I don't normally cook with alcochol :giggle: as like you said there is normally none left!!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 am

Oh my goodness... pulled pork - I used to have pulled pork sandwiches when i was in houston. SO yummy, but SO bad :giggle:

Previous

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights