hf1

Risotto recipies

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Rissotto recipies

Postby northernruth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 pm

gayleygoo wrote:I make a very lazy "risotto" by just rinsing normal rice, and putting it in the saucepan after the onions and garlic have been softened, adding the necessary amount of stock and cooking as normal. I add chopped meat and veg to the pot as to the timings needed and stir once in a while to make sure it doesnt stick. Thats probably not technically a risotto but Im happy with it, and I use use whatever rice I have in the cupboard.

Nigella had a butternut "orzotto" (barely instead of rice) in her Christmas book, I might try that sometime if I ever see the recipe again. Apparently its much easier than making risotto.

Id probably make more rice dishes because I love them, if it weren't for DH "not seeing the point" of rice :roll: :giggle:

If you use normal rice then technically it's a pilaff, I make one with chorizo sausage and chopped chicken, if you turn the heat up for the last 5 minutes it goes crunchy underneath, yumyum

I follow Jamie Oliver for a risotto, I use half butter and half olive oil for the onion and garlic, and I have to confess that I never do the gradual stirring :oops: , once the wine (or dry sherry we use here) is absorbed I just pour all the stock in and put it on a very low heat with the lid tight on. If you have proper risotto rice (arborio or canaroli) thenit is starchy enough to cope :wink:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:57 pm

I make lots of risotto too, with arborio rice - similar to one of the early posts (sorry I forget who it is).

I'm sure I'll be shot down but I do put in the wine too, even for DS - I just make sure that it's well and truly boiling during the cooking to make sure all the alcyhol evaporates off.

We're veg, but the favourite in our house is to roas small pieces of butternut squash and add those in at the end, along with some sage. It really goes well with the parmesan flavour.

Mushroom risotto is another that always goes down well.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Yummy!

I do 3 main ones ... I use a Nigel Slater basic recipe, very similar to those already posted & add one or other of the following:

Mushroom & Goats Cheese (porcini mushrooms a must - soak them before hand & use the water to cook the rice)

Smoked Haddock & Leek (poach the haddock in milk, pan fry the leeks in butter & stir into rice, add mascarpone cheese
just prior to serving.)

Blue Cheese & Pancetta (buy the pancetta cubed at supermarket, add into rice with chopped onion & frozen peas, stir
through a soft mild blue cheese like St Agur or Dolcellatte just prior to serving)

Mmmmmmmmmmmm! :mrgreen:

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:08 pm

tiyuricc wrote:I make lots of risotto too, with arborio rice - similar to one of the early posts (sorry I forget who it is).

I'm sure I'll be shot down but I do put in the wine too, even for DS - I just make sure that it's well and truly boiling during the cooking to make sure all the alcyhol evaporates off.

We're veg, but the favourite in our house is to roas small pieces of butternut squash and add those in at the end, along with some sage. It really goes well with the parmesan flavour.

Mushroom risotto is another that always goes down well.

Not at all! I use wine in alot of recipes and Poppy and Noah have had them since they had their first tastes.. As long as its cooked well theres no alcohol left, just yummy flavouring. :wine: :giggle:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Mmmmm wine! :wine:
I use it in bolagnaise (sp) and cassoroles too ... is fine, cooks off the alcohol

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:10 pm

I usually do risotto with chicken, leek, yellow pepper and a tin of sweetcorn, but it really depends on what we have in the fridge. Butternut squash and pancetta/bacon is nice and I sometimes throw in a few frozen peas at the end for extra veg. Onions and mushrooms work well too. Mmmm now I am hungry :mrgreen:

My avatar
Allie73
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Allie73 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 am

I got this recipe from the Sainsburys Little One’s Magazine. My kids really like it.

1 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 Small Onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, crushed

200g Arborio Risotto Rice

250g Butternut squash, peeled and cubed

1 Litre Vegetable Stock, hot

300g Salmon fillet, skinned and cubed

100g frozen peas

Preheat the oven to 350. On the stovetop, cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the rice and cook for a minute or so. Add the butternut squash and toss with the garlic, onion and rice.

If your pan is not ovenproof, transfer mixture to a 1.5 Litre casserole dish with lid. Pour stock over the mixture and stir.
Bake covered for 25 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from oven. Stir in the salmon and peas. Return to oven and bake with cover for another 10 minutes.

My avatar
mini-mum
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Risotto recipies

Postby mini-mum » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:55 pm

Sun-dried tomatoes can give an interesting kick to a Risotto. You have to make it with Arborio rice, I can't say I have come across any other rice that creates that glutenous creamy texture?

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Risotto recipies

Postby charlibunny » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:08 pm

Are there any non dairy but still moist rissotto's?? Egg free too....

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes and other Culinary Delights