hf1

School uniform - how much to get?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

School uniform - how much to get?

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:12 am

Next week I have to buy Iris' school uniform, ready for her to start school in March (she should start with everyone else in the final week of January, but we're off to the UK for February so we're not bothering until she gets back). I don't know how much stuff to get for her?

There's a summer and a winter uniform (dress for summer; trousers, shirt and jumper for winter), a sports uniform (shirt and shorts for summer; tracksuit or get cold in shorts and shirt for winter), as well as a hat and bag.

I can only get the uniform from the school and prices are ... steep! (£30 for a thin cotton summer dress!) I'm not going to be able to pass most of it on to Callum, obviously, as the boys' uniform is quite different. :roll:

So what do you think is the bare minimum I can get away with? (I never wore uniform at school, so this is all new to me ...) Drying's not a problem in summer, winter I'd probably rely on the tumble dryer as there's no heating.

Any advice gratefully received. :)

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Re: School uniform - how much to get?

Postby MrC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:18 am

I use four sets for each of them but we don't use a dryer so you could probably manage with 3. Ask the school if they recycle uniform. Many do so you can get some really good stuff for next to nothing from experience. Jumpers were particularly good in QLD as they're never used :)

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:28 am

I was horrified last christmas when I had to buy Fin his uniform as we had always bought Tesco uniform in the UK at next to nothing, then having to buy from the school was a shock.

I started with 3 school polo shirts and one sports shirt, one pair of school shorts and the school hat.

I have since just a few weeks ago added an extra t-shirt to this so one for everyday of the week.

He has navy shorts and jumpers from K-Mart as I refuse to pay $35 for school shorts and nearly $70 for a jumper! He very rarely wore his jumper last winter as according to him it wasn't cold... compared to winter in the UK.

Do the girls where shorts at your school? If so, I would look at buying from K-mart or Target if you can.

Remember - no hat no play, so that is a must.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 am

4?! Jeez, Mr CM. If I get the hat, bag, 1 sports uniform and 4 summer dresses, it's going to come in at over $300. I can't even think about having to shell out $200 again in six months when they move over to winter uniform.

I did look at the consignment stuff but it's a bit hit and miss. And Iris needs longer length stuff (if we move up a size I might as well send her in a sack, she's that skinny!), so it doesn't come up that often.

She'll be getting school uniform for Christmas and birthdays for the next 12 years at that price. :hohoho:

Bernadette - yes, they can wear shorts for sport, so I'll look in Target for those. Once I figure out what colour I need. :oops: (Bottle green, I think?) And, yep, the hat is the first thing I'll get - we're used to that policy at preschool. Need to get her some more sunscreen, while I think on it, to go in her school bag.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:49 am

What are the dresses like, izzy wears a check one which keeps really nice so I wouldn't need four of those as it doesn't show up every speck of dirt I reckon she could get away with two and they dry so quick. Does she need a shirt underneath like a pinafore dress? If nt that's good.

Trousers ime don't get that dirty either I would say 3 pairs. I like her to have a Clean shirt every day so we have tons of those because I am not so good at washing them in time so we have spares. The thing with izzy is she always gets her jumpers dirty :roll: So we have four of those

Pe kit you should only need one unless they do it everyday ?

Hth

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 am

Your uniform sounds very simalar to ours (even the price :roll: ) we have I set of each pe kit, 4 tshirts/shirts, 2 trousers/shorts, 1 jumper, 1 hat, 1 coat.
The boys wear long sleeved thermal vests under their winter shirts which means they very rarely wear their jumpers. Get her school shoes and pe trainers when you are Uk :wink: I'm lucky with having 2 boys at least I can hand things down but my uniform bill was still €300 this year :shock:

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 am

In my experience girls are lots easier on uniform than boys. For Vicky she only needed two trousers in winter, 4 polo tops but could have got away with 3 and 2 jumpers. In summer she had two dresses. Pe kit is just one top and one shorts.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:34 am

We have 5 sets (and 2 PE kits) Just incase for some reason we aren't able to wash/dry during the week.

5 jumpers (1 school logo one, 4 supermarket ones)
5 trousers (M&S non-iron Teflon ones)
5 white polo shirts
2 plain yellow PE tshirts
2 PE shorts

We also opted to get him
1 school thick outdoor fleece - which acts as a second coat if needed!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Is it specific styles/payterns/logoed or could you stock up in the UK?

Next

Return to Growing Up