hf1

School uniform - how much to get?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: School uniform - how much to get?

Postby sim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:45 pm

I remember uniforms costing the earth when I was at school in Australia.

Ewan has 4 pairs trousers (the M&S basics in packs of 2), 5 shirts, 2 sweatshirts plus a fleece. He doesn't need PE kit until January and will have one of each item.
I've only had to wash his jumpers midweek twice when he got glue everywhere two days running.
Mostly I hang them to dry but that time they got tumbled on low.
Our tops have to have a logo so aren't cheap, but nothing like Aussie prices. I guess the fact most schools have unique uniforms in Aus doesn't help.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 pm

We have enough of everything to last a week so I can just wash at the weekends. I could manage with less (cheaper prices here aide my laziness) but wouldn't want less than 3 complete uniforms.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Those prices are insane Nichola!! I can get a checked summer dress for £5! I would ideally say three sets so you only need to wash a couple of times a week, but you could probably manage with two.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Bane of my life! I just went to Josh's high school info night and got 2 school polos, and PE shirt and shorts and that cost me over $120 :shock: :shock: he hates wearing jumpers so we may not get one of those if he doesn't want one and I'll see if I can pick up some 2nd hand tshirts. They did sell the grey shorts at $30 but I'll just get them from the normal :shock: shops.

Private school uniforms are even worse - I doubt you'd have change from $1000 :shock:

We actually have 5 tshirts and 5 shorts each (sorry Mr CM :giggle: ), as I figured that that way we had a weeks worth. I only bought 1 new tshirt each and got the rest from the clothing pool - some of which were almost new and honestly within a month or so I couldn't even tell which one was the newly bought! My primary school dresses you used to be able to get the pattern from the school and buy the check material but not sure if that happens now as so few people (other than on here!) sew!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Not sure if I'm right here, but don't a lot of the schools in Oz use uniform sales as a way of generating money? i could be totally wrong.

But yes the prices are crazy. You will just have to hope that their high school doesn't do the blazer letter jacket like I've seen a few schools do. I read a news report on clever clogs head boys and girls in Brisbane, and some of the kids had blazers with patches for all their clubs they were in, like the Letters jackets over here. they would cost a fortune, and they were public schools!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:58 pm

i think the seniors here do have a blazer, I'll see if I can find the uniform list and see how much it is!

I remember when I got my uniform for private school, that would have been end of 1987 to start 88 and that was nearly $500 then :shock: :shock: :shock:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:22 am

Goodness, that is expensive!

We aren't bound by buying things from the school - so we have 5 full uniforms so we don't have to worry about washing and ironing them during the week.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:20 am

Ouch, that is a ridiculous amount of money :( I usually spend just over £100 for both of mine, although I know that some of the secondary schools you have to buy everything from them so that will be higher soon enough

JabberJabber wrote:We aren't bound by buying things from the school - so we have 5 full uniforms so we don't have to worry about washing and ironing them during the week.

^WSS. I think i'd have a nightmare otherwise as they both get so messy.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:09 am

Thanks, all. :thumbsup: I think we'll start out with 3 and get more, if needed.

PreviousNext

Return to Growing Up