Do I Need New Nappies?!

My avatar
sweetpea
Clothie
Clothie

Do I Need New Nappies?!

Postby sweetpea » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi there,
I have been using totsbots (size 2) handed down to me on my daughter for over a year but they have started leaking - this afternoon she was wet through after 45 mins :roll: . I know that the nappies were only used for about six months by my friend so I am supprised that they may have come to the end of their life already. I am using a combo of bamboozles and trad totstots with a motherease riki wrap (large). L is about 30lbs and seems 'average' build for 15 months.
I have tried strip washing the nappies but no change. Any suggestions?
If I do need to buy a new set of nappies any suggestions - I live in a hardwater area and would rather not tumble ( which I do sometimes have to as tbots are quite hard to dry!) so something quick drying but thirsty would be ideal.
Has anyone tried the new totsbots flexitots?
Any thoughts appreciated
Claire
x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Do I Need New Nappies?!

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Sounds like you might just need to start boosting them - cheaper (and easier) to invest in some bamboo or hemp boosters (tots do their own bamboo boosters but any brand of hemp or bamboo would do) and pop them under the tongue of the nappy before you put them on...

Does she drink Juice at all? This can mean LOs drink more than normal and wet quite heavily

Normally of course I'd say YES you always NEED new nappies but only if you want something prettier ;)

Not sure anyone on here has tried the tots flexitots though...

My avatar
sweetpea
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sweetpea » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Thanks - I know this sounds daft but although I boost at night it hadn't occured to me to do this during the day - how dense am I!!!!!!! :oops:
L doesn't drink juice just water but she does drink quite alot :roll:
Do you think that bamboo boosters would be better (I guess because they are thinner?) as at the mo I only have towelling ones.
Thanks again for the reply - I actually can't believe I hadn't thought of that :lol:
Claire
x

My avatar
sweetpea
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sweetpea » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Another question .... Do you think I can use more than one booster at night as these sometimes leak with just the one or perhaps I should try a night nappy ...um....really just fancy actually buying something new :lol:
C
x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Well for night nappies I can highly recommend a few :lol: But for starters the Weenotions Night Notions are fab and pretty absorbent...
http://www.weenotions.co.uk - unfortunately they're out of commission until the 1st November :shock: so you might have to boost until then or buy a pre-loved one...
Other good nappies for night are puddlepants weedies (you buy the insert seperately though) http://www.puddlepants.co.uk/weedies.php

I also use Jimmy Riddles fitteds (hard to get hold of), and a Standard Minki Pocket nappy http://www.nappiesbyminki.co.uk/ (stuffed with bamboo squares from http://www.babeco.co.uk and easy peasy hemp boosters from http://www.easypeasynappies.co.uk/ )

I would recommend hemp or bamboo for boosting as they're slimmer (hemp slimmest) and much more absorbent than cotton towelling boosters - they do need a fair few washes to get up to full absorbency but you can start using them after the first few washes (and they don't need to dry inbetween)

You can boost your night nappy as much as you want provided it still fits well - and you can always boost between the nappy and the wrap...

You might want to look into wool wraps for night too if you don't use them already as we reguarly got leaks with PUL that we haven't had with wool...

Hope that helps!! :lol:

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:24 pm

I agree with all above- for night time we use nightnotions and there are a few on the classifieds at the mo and also minkis

i was just going to add flexitot were thhe first nappies i used with sam and really liked them- always found them reliable and never leaked, i liked them more than bamboozles which seemed to get wet quicker, however i have moved on to prettier nappies :mrgreen: . sam has now outgrown his size 1 flexitots, but they were what i used when wanted something reliable however i haven't tried them on an older child, we stopped using them about a month ago.

My avatar
sweetpea
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sweetpea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am

Thank you soooo much :D
Lots of great ideas .... I'm going to settle down with a cuppa during Lucy's nap and do some browsing. Is it really sad how much I love looking at nappies?!!!
Quick q about the flexitots ... did you find they dried quicker than the bamboozles? I'm guessing that because of the fabric that they are made from that they wouldn't go hard and crispy if washed in hard water and then line dried :?
Thanks again ... I love this forum!
Claire
x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 am

sweetpea wrote:Quick q about the flexitots ... did you find they dried quicker than the bamboozles? I'm guessing that because of the fabric that they are made from that they wouldn't go hard and crispy if washed in hard water and then line dried :?
Claire
x

I have heard that they are slow to dry... But no personal experience of this...

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:57 am

sweetpea wrote:Thank you soooo much :D

Quick q about the flexitots ... did you find they dried quicker than the bamboozles? I'm guessing that because of the fabric that they are made from that they wouldn't go hard and crispy if washed in hard water and then line dried :?
Claire
x

I found they dried quicker than bamboozles but are quite slow to dry ,initially i thought you could not tumble dry them but then found you can tumble dry them on low and they were lovely and soft- having said that they never got crispy when line dried always felt soft
sarah

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies