hf1

Planning for a newborn

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Planning for a newborn

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm

I realise this is a popular topic here, and I have been reading related threads, honest!

So my question: Ideally, it would be great to use cloth from day 1. My plan is to have:
1) at least a dozen terry squares (maybe 2 dozen?), with some cut down to 40cm and 50cm squares,
2) up to about 5 AIO (Teenyfits seem to get good reviews),
3) a selection of three or four different types of fitted cloth nappies - up to about 5 of each so we can work out what fits (and buy more of!), and
4) accessories to include liners and wraps and nippas etc.

So what would be a decent selection for 3)? We don't have a tumble dryer and the baby's due end of December, so quick-drying would be good. Also we have relatively hard water, so types that would cope well with that would be good too. I've heard good things about diddy diapers, also Thirsties duo fab fitted. I guess it would be good to have a variety of shapes, and if anyone has advice about types of wraps that would be super too.

Thank you for all help!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Planning for a newborn

Postby JabberJabber » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:39 pm

We really liked (still do) the size 0 bimbles. They were very trim and fitted well for the early stages when size 1's were too big. I also found the bumgenius small fitteds were good and my little one still fits them when he's out of the other tiny ones.

Little lambs and tots bots also get a thumbs up from me.

It would be best getting preloved, especially as newborn ones are only worn for such a short time. When you know what you like you can always get more new.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 pm

We liked Sandies, Thirsties and Diddy Diapers. I found Little Lambs humungous but possibly ok on a slightly bigger baby, Lauren was 6lb 11oz :D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Got some little lambs and Diddy diapers which I will be selling soon as my wee boy is massive now!! Both popular makes.

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 pm

ems101 wrote:Got some little lambs and Diddy diapers which I will be selling soon as my wee boy is massive now!! Both popular makes.

Feel free and let me know when you're selling :wink:

Although I do KEEP saying I should NOT buy things until 3rd tri...

Thanks for the other recommendations too - there are *so* many options out there it's overwhelming.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Teenyfits fitted well & dry fast but DS3 could out-pee them in less than an hour! Newborns wee a lot :lol: . I borrowed some diddys which I liked, and little lambs but they are big on a smaller baby.....I have big babies :wink:

I also liked Dunk n Fluff & Made by Amber nappies :D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm

I loved fitteds and wool on Darcie as a newborn...my favs were OWW fitted nappies :love:

For AIO;s I adored teenyfits...they were fabulous! :thumbsup:

Little lambs were big on Darcie (she was 7lbs 12oz at birth) and she was about 6-8 weeks before they fit ok..I also loved newborn swaddlebees prefolds...buttery soft and much better absorbancy wide than terries!

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am

So having intended just to do a bit of research at this point I got seduced by sales (Boo Coo summer clear-out and softbots closing down) and one or two classified ads, and I seem to have

12 white terry squares,
6 coloured terry squares,
12 assorted newborn nappies in about 6 varieties, including one teenyfit.

Plus a wet bag, some liners, nappi nippas, 2 mesh bags and 4 PUL wraps (2 in the post).

I should stop now, right? Apart from stalking the classifieds for some more teenyfits maybe.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 am

I don't rate pockets and AIOs on newborns at all. They aren't particularly absorbent and are pretty useless at poo containment IMO. I had a few small WN pockets but we barely used them. M wore fitteds and wool from birth and we had to boost those for the first few weeks to get them to last longer than an hour! Our favourites were Owe Whoa When and Hollow Oak followed by XS Dunk n Fluff and Holdens Landing when she was a bit bigger.

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies