Fixing up LLs and building a stash questions

My avatar
Olivette
Clothie
Clothie

Fixing up LLs and building a stash questions

Postby Olivette » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi!

Before getting pregnant I purchased several nappies that were free for postage. At the time it cost me less than £10 for most of what I picked up and knowing they needed a bit of uplifting I thought I could store them away until I needed them and them do them up to save some money. I kinda picked up things here and there were I felt they were too good to miss out on. Well I'm now pregnant and have recently pulled out everything that I previously bought!

The bulk of the FFP stash was 15 cotton Little Lambs size 1, 10 or so wraps, a booster and a liner in each LL and 8-10 extra boosters and liners. I also picked up several cotton tots bots, and 3 lolliepop nappies. 2 of the lolliepops seem to have a fleecy outside, and one of them is fluffy on the outside. They don't seem to have much info on the label. They have a booster and liner in each. I also have 5 small wraps of the motherease air flow and rikki variety.

As far as the Lolliepops go, they are good to go and look to be in really good usable condition . The tots bots are quite crunchy, and are definitely fairly old. I have strip washed them and intend to run them through the tumble dryer (kindly being bought as a gift by my mum). I've banged them around a bit which definitely softens them up. I'm sure they'll be serviceable with a fleece liner.

The LLs need a bit more love I think :(. They are not crunchy at all which is good (beens they are cotton and quite used I thought they might be). They are the older style, and I was aware the elastic needed replacing in all of them (which I can manage), and I thought with them being cotton I might attempt to dye them a nice new colour.

My plan all along was to use terry squares. Mainly for the drying speed, and the economical value of them. I'm quite happy with the idea of using terrys, so much so that I'd had on my baby list a terry square 'kit' which came with all of the essentials to go from birth to potty. I know some doubt terries for bigger babies but I'd planned too cross that bridge when it came too it! Now that i've riffled through the other nappies that I have, I'm definitely thinking that I could save myself some money to start with by doing up the LLs that I have and using them along side the other fitted nappies I have, as well as buying a pack of terrys. Would this work for the beginning?

I have done my research and have come across people saying the LLs needed boosting more than they thought they would and that they didn't last as long before needing to be changed as some of the their other nappies and am kinda ok with that. Most reviews I read said they had found containment had been pretty good so I don't mind the idea of having to boost a little more. With the terries and everything else I have the LLs wouldn't make up the whole stash.

Money will be a little less tight after the baby is born so will be easier too build on what works or to experiment a little then. I guess I'm wanting to know whether you think what I have would be good enough to at least get us going!

Ox

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Fixing up LLs and building a stash questions

Postby sim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 pm

It will certainly get you started - in the early days you are changing quite frequently due to poo so absorbency isn't the issue. Once baby stops pooing frequently is when absorbency issues can kick in but it can depend on how heavy a wetter LO is.

My DS1 was fine in cotton tots up to about 3 months. My DS2 is not quite 10 weeks and is out weeing bamboo LLs in about 2 hours at the moment unless I put a booster in, but the containment on them for poo is fine.

I personally didn't get on with terries, but it is down to personal preference as I know some swear by them.

Perhaps start as you've suggested and then once LO is here you can see what works, what doesn't and try a few things out preloved before committing to any big changes in stash. There are always plenty of people on here to suggest what to try if things aren't working.

HTH!

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 am

we still use ll size 1 on our nearly 9 month old boy and they last 3hrs. he did have a phase between 3 and 5 months were they only lasted 2 hrs unboosted but now he drinks less milk they are fine, definitely a good purchase x

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:09 am

It sounds like you've got a really good starter stash there! :widesmile: As for boosting, ll bamboo boosters are great, and really cheap, but as sim says, in the early days bubba will be pooping so frequently that absorbency wont be a problem anyway! I used small terries and muslins quite a bit in the beginning, I still use terries sometimes now (although Dot complains whenever I use a nippa :roll: )
I warn you though, with all the lovely pretty cloth available these days - you will be tempted to buy more, and we are all evil temptresses on here! :twisted: :giggle:

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies