hf1

Are babmoo fitteds always bulky and hard?

My avatar
AlohaMama
Clothie
Clothie

Are babmoo fitteds always bulky and hard?

Postby AlohaMama » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 am

I've only used pocket nappies in the past but just bought a couple of preloved baby beehinds and monkey snuggles fitted bamboo nappies to give them ago. I was suprised at how stiff and bulky they were. Is this normal or do I need to rinse/air fluff them so get them to soften up? Do people tend to use these as every day nappies or more for overnight/nap time? I'm assuming that as the whole nappy is absorbent these are going to hold more than my usual pockets? TIA.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Are babmoo fitteds always bulky and hard?

Postby ems101 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:20 am

Bamboo is very absorbant. Much more than a pocket in my experience but they can go very crunchy. Tumble drying really helps once in a while!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:21 am

I found baby behinds very stiff but not tried monkey snuggles. Tumble drying softens them. See how long they last in the day to judge for nights, if they are so king through after a couple hours then you know you Will need something else, if they last longer and are not too wet you could add booster/s to use for nights

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:19 pm

It also depends on how hard your water is, the harder your water the crunchier they are (I think, or its the other way round :giggle: ) if you haven't got a tumble dryer you can bash them against something when they are dry.

But IMO you need a tumble dryer if you're going to use bamboo, they just end up too crunchy.

Also if you got them pre-loved you might want to strip wash them, the previous owner may not have and there might be a bit of residue in them making them crunchier

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 am

I used to have some quite crunchy bamboo fitteds - tots bots and bimbles/bumbles. I put them in my mum's tumble dryer on cold with her dryer balls when they were fully ddry and they softened up quite well. I did it on cold as I'm a bit wary of putting elasticated fitteds in the tumble as I don't want them to lose their stretchiness.

The only real time that I found fitteds to be very bulky was when I'd just had to size up or was using a one size. I think in the end I forgot about it and got used to using and bying more generously sized trousers for my two.

My avatar
AlohaMama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AlohaMama » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:18 am

Thanks for the tips ladies. We've got a dryer so I'll try that and if that doesn't soften them try a strip wash. It migth just be getting used to a new style as well - I'll persevere!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:45 am

@AlohaMama how did you get on did you manage to soften them up? I loved my Baby beehinds for both night and day. I would add the boosters at night and use wool over and they lasted really well, I found them less bulky than other night nappies but just as absorbent!

My avatar
AlohaMama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AlohaMama » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:34 am

Currently in the wash, but will have a go at giving them a tumble and see how they come out and let you know!

My avatar
Olivette
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Olivette » Thu May 01, 2014 4:52 pm

How did you get on? :)

x

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies