Little Lamb cotton or bamboo?

My avatar
Mary Jo
Clothie
Clothie

Little Lamb cotton or bamboo?

Postby Mary Jo » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Hey :)

I'm looking to buy a set of 20 Little Lamb nappies to get organised for my son who's due in August. I've been reading reviews and am wondering - since I have no idea, the last time I saw a cloth nappy I was wearing it - whether to get a mixed set of 12 cotton and 8 bamboo or just to get all bamboo?

I've read the pros and cons of each but was wondering about the opinions of people who've actually had experience.

FTR, we don't have access to drying outside so it'll all be done inside or in the dryer (if that's possible and won't banjax the elastic). Is the drying time really so long for bamboo? What are we talking about, 2 days, 3?

Is it worth sacrificing quicker drying for better absorbancy?

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Little Lamb cotton or bamboo?

Postby afterglow » Wed May 27, 2009 8:25 am

Bamboo is more absorbent, stays softer than cotton if you have hard water and has a better resale value. I allow about 36-48 hours to dry bamboo fitteds on the airer, 24hrs in the airing cupboard.

My suggestion would be to get a couple of each to try out before going for a large set. Cotton ones are especially easy to buy very lightly used. In the interests of your electric bill you might also want to think about some microfibre fitteds or pocket nappies, as they dry really quickly on an airer and mean that you can always have at least a couple of dry nappies for the next day.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Wed May 27, 2009 9:42 am

I don't like cotton at all and don't have any now as I sold them on. I much prefer bamboo. I wouldn't really get all one type either to be honest, I would get a few different ones to try. I have some microfibre, some hemp, some bamboo and some soy, some pockets and some fitteds with wraps.

The little lambs bamboo nappy I have does take a good while to dry - about 3 days. I don't have a tumble dryer and manage fine with mainly bamboo and soy nappies and wonderoos.
Last edited by 2climbingboys on Wed May 27, 2009 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 am

I much preferred the bamboo ones on Ben when he was born, they were actually about the same absorbency as the cotton I would say but were slimmer fitting. The drying time wasn't too bad, I don't have a dryer, but then I did have a large selection of nappies so didn't run out.

I would go for bamboo but it is personal choice and depends on how many nappies you have, how often you wash and how much you want to use your dryer

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 pm

I agree with the ladies above.
I started with little lambs cotton and bamboo. Bamboo were good for naps and going out as my LO was a heavy wetter. Cotton were great to dry fast but I would def. go for some pockets for quick drying in the house. Bum genius are good pockets one size... dry very fast with good absorbancy inserts.

As the cotton wear they can get a bit crunchy if you dry them indoors on the radiator so I used to put them in tumble with a damp towel for 5 mins so soften them up!

Good luck x

My avatar
Mary Jo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mary Jo » Thu May 28, 2009 1:09 am

Thanks ladies. :)

I've now kind of decided to buy a few used Little Lambs in cotton and bamboo and maybe microfibre, to try out, and now I'm looking for some sort of pocket nappy as yes, I think drying is going to be an issue if I cannot use the tumble dryer. Our flat doesn't have an airing cupboard, which is pretty annoying, so unless it's the height of summer and I can hang stuff on a rack on the open skylight in the loft bedroom (I dry my undies that way!) or October-April when the heating is usually on, I'm kind of screwed.

I'm not averse to using flats, probably in bamboo, but my OH is a little resistant to the whole cloth nappy idea and I want to make it easier on him, at least until he's a convert (which I'm sure he will be eventually :giggle: )

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Thu May 28, 2009 7:36 pm

I would have said to go for the mixed kit (cotton for general daytime use, bamboo for naps & nights - bamboo LLs worked great for us at night when DD was little). It's great value for a set of new nappies, and I thought LLs were better-made and held up better than Tots. That said, it's fun to have a variety - you'll just need to organize your nappies in an idiot-proof way for your DH!

BTW, I've never gotten on with microfibre nappies (find them bulky and not actually very absorbent) and wouldn't use MF on its own in pockets, drying time be damned - in my experience pretty much any pocket insert will air-dry in a day or so as long as you can open it out to one layer (some stay in a loop, those might take a little longer, not too sure!).

My avatar
Mary Jo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mary Jo » Fri May 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks! I've managed to acquire, second hand, 6 bamboo and 4 cotton Little Lambs, with boosters and liners, and 6 wraps, so I'm pretty pleased. I'd like to get hold of a few more cottons I think, and then look for something else. How many will I need? I was thinking 20-25?

My avatar
samandsally
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby samandsally » Sun May 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi,
I have used both and like them both , great nappies to start with, even my husband likes them, i like the bamboo for softness and the cotton because they dry so quick, good to have a mixture of them both. I was just about to put up some cotton ones for sale, so feel free to pm me if you wish, i will wait to hear from you first.

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies