hf1

Fluffles for night?

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Fluffles for night?

Postby freckle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:26 pm

Very new to cloth nappies but have a question: I picked up some as new fluffles the other day but I find them far too bulky for daytime use.

Can these be used for nights? Any suggestions for wraps/boosters. I only have a couple of ME wraps, totsbots wraps and one totsbots fleece (not sure this would fit the fluffle though). I have some bamboo boosters. I am willing to buy new wraps if it will make them usable for nights.

Am currently still using disposables at nights while I get to grips with the whole booster/wrap thing lol

Thanks!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Fluffles for night?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:56 am

Hi, I havent got an answer about fluffes at night, I'm sure someone more experienced on here can answer than one for you.

But as another newbie whos just (3 nights ago) ditched the night disposables, I would just say... give it a go. I was so worried about trying at night but it really isnt that bad. So far I have tried a
huggle with a bamboo booster and a old style tots bot wrap = brilliant.
A bamboozle and bamboo booster and ME wrap = brilliant.
And my 'tiny' girl has been in bamboozles without boosters and a tots bots wrap.

I don't think my boy could go without a booster. I did try my girl in an new style tots bots wrap and didnt like that as much, I don't like the non gussted legs.

Also I have been soaking the night nappies in water with a touch of vinegar in the morning to get rid of the wee. Not sure if this is a good idea, but it seems to work.

good luck

Amanda

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:50 am

Hi zodoz (sorry dont' know your name :oops: ). The probelm IMO of Fluffles at night is that they are made soley from microfibre and have a tendency to 'squish' the wee out when compressed. Saying that I have used them successfully at night when Louis was small, boosted with hemp to act as a holding reservoir for the wee! As Amanda has said just go for it! My Louis is only in nappies at night now and I'm actually using nearly all of my nappies as night nappies by boosting with hemp and bamboo, as long as there is enough absorbancy then they will last! My favorite wrap for night is wool. If you dont' want to go that route then Motherease wraps are bomb proof, I also have a nature babies one which is fine overnight. If your LO's are on the upper end of wrap size you may find you need to go up a wrap size because of the little extra bulk.

gilbertandmartha wrote:Also I have been soaking the night nappies in water with a touch of vinegar in the morning to get rid of the wee. Not sure if this is a good idea, but it seems to work.

Amanda, I really wouldn't recommend doing this as the vinegar in high concentrate will effect your pul and elastic. The best way to combat smells is to always do a cold rince before you wash and if you are worried about your nappy bucket pop a few drops of oil in your bin (Tea tree or lavender have antiseptic properties as well). You can stick a panty liner to the lid of the bin and put the oil on that. If you still find it bad you could just rinse the night nappy in cold water, wring then pop it in the bucket. I use a dash of vinegar in my wash (with oils), this is enough to help neutralise smells without damage to your nappies. :wink:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 am

Sorry my name is Bron. :)

Thanks very much and I will attempt it tonight. DS is still a big drinker at night waking at least 4 times so I'm a little scared but guess I wont know unless I don't try. I'll keep a look out for a second hand wool cover as well.

Can I add more than one bamboo booster?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:53 pm

clothmama wrote:The best way to combat smells is to always do a cold rince before you wash

I do that, more for poopy nappies. My DD normally only does a couple poops a day (sorry for the TMI!) so if they're too bad to just lift the poo off with a babywipe etc, I'll pop em in the washing machine for a rinse and spin cycle (mine has settings to do time saver and one item washes) then into the dry bucket to wash once shes in bed :) I use non bio powder/tabs, and every two or three washes I'll do the nappies (no wraps) with a touch of nappisan (also keeps my machine smelling ok too! Lol). And I hang out side to dry if I can, but 90% of mine is done on radiators/clothes horse. I DO have a couple of stained terry squares. One is from finger paint :hohoho: and the other two are from before I started to do the rinse before putting it in the bucket.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Amanda, I really wouldn't recommend doing this as the vinegar in high concentrate will effect your pul and elastic. The best way to combat smells is to always do a cold rince before you wash and if you are worried about your nappy bucket pop a few drops of oil in your bin (Tea tree or lavender have antiseptic properties as well). You can stick a panty liner to the lid of the bin and put the oil on that. If you still find it bad you could just rinse the night nappy in cold water, wring then pop it in the bucket. I use a dash of vinegar in my wash (with oils), this is enough to help neutralise smells without damage to your nappies. :wink:

Thanks for the tip, I have been putting teatree in my bucket, but the thought of leaving the wee night nappies so long kind of disgusted me! I'll just rinse in water and pop in the bucket from now on.

My avatar
SaturdayNext
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby SaturdayNext » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:49 pm

I have a milk monster so I boost all his night nappies with two Motherease bamboo boosters - the type without poppers. They are very thin so they don't add that much bulk to the nappy.

I used Fluffles in the day time and bamboo at night but if I stuck a Fluffle on at night by mistake I don't remember that it caused any problems.

I second the recommendation for Motherease wraps over them. It's a great combination.

Fluffles do vary in thickness a lot. I have two sets bought at different times and my older ones are much slimmer but just as absorbent. TotsBots told me one of the reasons they discontinued the Fluffles was the difficulty in standardizing the fabric thickness. It's a pity because they are so fast drying they're wonderful if you don't have a tumble dryer.

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies