hf1

Encouragement Please

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Encouragement Please

Postby litlestar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:23 am

I'm worried that i've gone the wrong route?!?!

sorry if it doesn't make sense, our little one is due in Nov :pregnant: , and i have been buying a wide range of both Cloth (fitted) and Pocket nappies.

my mixture is about 50/50 though i do have quiet a few MEOS (20), i've been reading on other forums as well as here and there seems to be the consensus that fitted with wraps are more fuss.

personally i've been drawn more to the MEOS since i started doing my research a few months ago i love the flexibility of them and obviously although the standard ME wraps are a little ordinary, you still have the option to test others.

my stash is predominantly pre-loved, i have brought some size ones (14) for the first few months as well as BTP ones (both in pockets and cloth - i have about 12 different makes of nappy) and as we determine what works best we would invest in new wraps/nappies etc.

overall i've spend about £240 and have in the region of 50+ nappies and a doz or so wraps & i have boosters and inserts as well (also loaned some to a relative to try and convert them to cloth)

my theory on the pocket nappies was that grandparents would easily be able to handle them without having to mess too much with the various folds and wraps.

do you think i've gone overboard? i know i shouldn't be swayed by other people comments but i would appreciate it if you could share your experiences with getting used to cloth fitteds and wraps? did you find them fiddly etc?

Thanks in advance - Sorry for the essay!! :giggle:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Encouragement Please

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 am

DH can use fitteds and wraps; they can't be that hard. ;) :hohoho: I think they're the best option for a newborn, because they offer better containment having two barriers at the leg. But it is a case of trial and error finding out what suits your LOs shape and what you like to use. So I'd not listen too much to other people's opinion. (I do recognise the irony here in advising you to do this. :giggle: )

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 am

sounds like you've got a few different ones to try - my sil has the meos and has been using them for a few months - she's happy with them though i do wonder if they will be bulky between the legs when her lo starts walking - though they are slimmer than the old fashioned terry squares .
best thing is to try what you've got then you'll have an idea of what suits you best

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:43 am

Thanks ladies,
I don't think DH will be too much of a problem, he has no experience with nappies at all so his is a clean slate so to speak. though i'm sure he will develop his preferences over time and usage. :giggle:

i just hope i don't end up doing all the changing! :evil:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:17 pm

i think you have lots of nappies but what you will find is that you try different ones and resell ones that dont work for you. i started research at 3 months :pregnant: and still experimenting, is all fun!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 pm

:idea: Wow sounds like you have a great stash going there!!

Personally i prefer fitteds and covers/wool with little babies...with my daughter i bought 15 BG pockets and we used those untill they started leaking ALL the time at about 8 months...no combination worked for us and we moved to fitteds and prefolds with wraps or wool and i found the love, i find 2 parters SO much more reliable than pockets...I have kept 5 BG pockets but they are for hubbs to use...although hubbs is loving longies at the moment and to put a fitted on and then longies over the top is just as easy as putting a pocket on or a disp :)

I wouldnt worry to much...try and see what you like and sell on what you dont :)

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:39 pm

sounds like you have got a good starting stash imo a fitted and a wrap is not fiddly at all and far more reliable than pockets tho i do liek pockets too but use fitteds for naps and night and if we are going out for a long time the wrap only takes bout 10 seconds to put on top of nappy so no different to having to pull out the elastic bits of a sposie and you are bound to find stuff which doesn't suit babies shape so then you can sell them and buy more

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't think fitteds and wraps are more fidly really. They really are more reliable on a tiny baby and on toddlers I have found.

I tried various pockets on DS3 this time and I didn't find any of them really worked for us. I can honestly say that we have not had a leak from a fitted and wrap combo so far, even though he does the most explosive poo ever. :puke:

I do like MEOS but do find them a bit bulky between the legs on a small baby. Motherease wraps are the best. It's a shame they aren't prettier because they are the most reliable. They are the only PUL wrap I trust overnight - although we mostly use wool.

This is part of the fun though with cloth nappies, its all about what works best for you and your baby. Of course you won't know that until it's here to test them on, so I think having variety in your stash is certainly a good thing. :wink:

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:55 pm

I didn't find fitted nappies too fiddly at all, they are great on my LO. I went for sized rather than one-size but he grew out of them rather quickly between 3 & 4 months! I have some BG pockets now that I bought for when my mum looks after him and I'm having to use these rather a lot as am desperately short of nappies, tbh I'm really not getting on with them at all. Yes they are slightly quicker to put on and dry quicker but I keep getting leaks, which I never do with fitted.

When LO arrives you'll soon find your favourites from your stash, sell what you don't get on with and buy more of what you like

Joy

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies