hf1

Wet thru already?

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Wet thru already?

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:57 am

Ok so we've had our first reusable wet thru already lol - its a tots bots cotton fitted. She wet thru the built-in booster (thats what its called isnt it?) which i'd doubled over for a girl. And the nappy underneath that part was just getting damp, and the edges next to the gusset were wet. All this after an hour??? I suppose that means she's a heavy wetter then? Or am i doing something wrong?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Wet thru already?

Postby littlesez » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:02 am

Me again! yes possibly, my bubs wets through our cotton little lambs in under 2 hours. I love them still though so i call these my home nappy. Because if were having a day in it doesnt bother me to change it frequently. These lasted longer as newborn but now dont last as long.

Cotton is not as absorbent as other materials so bamboo/hemp/soy are better. What you could do is put an absorbent layer inside like bamboo? I also have some fabrics that i use to line my night nappies that are not very absorbent but keep her bum dry then have bamboo ect underneath

Its all trial and error i think, what else have you got again?

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 pm

well i have 6 of those totsbots, and i have 4 bamboozles on the way (should be here tomorrow hopefully) and thats it so far lol. have reserved 2 ittis on here too :D And obviously i'll need a few more, but dont wanna go overboard on the first size, she'll be moving up a size soon i should think! So where do i get bamboo boosters from then?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:51 pm

That sounds about normal to me tbh. If you are used to disposables then the wetness of cloth nappies may come as a surprise. But a nappy should last 3-4 hours before being sodden I would say and as long as you aren't getting leaks then you are doing fine. I would say a heavy wetter is a baby who can make a nappy totally wet through in 1 hour :wink:

what Sara said is true though, there are more absorbent materials than cotton which you can boost nappies with. You can get bamboo or hemp boosters at most nappy shops.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 pm

that sounds about right to me too i wouldn't say she is a heavy wetter

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:20 pm

I agree with Annette - that's not particularly sodden. DD used to soak a cotton TB - right down to the aplix on the tabs being wet. That's heavy wetting. ;) We use large Babeco bamboo boosters, from here:

http://littlepants.co.uk/index.php?main ... cts_id=172

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm

Great thanks :hug: Her 2nd and 3rd nappies were wet thru to the gusset (not up the front or back tho) in about an hour, then we had to go out, so i put on one of the few remaining disposables. Just in case! Just til i can find my feet with these reusables i'll use the disposables when we go out!

Oh just a quick Q, the totsbots i have washed 6 times before using - is that enough? Or should i wash them a bit more?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Six prewashes should be fine.

Have to say, our first nappies were Tots Bots Bamboozles and I HATED them. My DD wet through them within 30 mins. Lots of people get on with them, but I've found that most other bamboo fitteds are much better. The most absorbent fitteds I've found so far are bamboo Baby Beehinds and Weenotions Northern Lights.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:30 pm

totsbots are not really that absorbant to be honest. Both my Dd's soaked through them in under an hour!! You could try a bamboo booster from littlelamb.co.uk or maybe some bambo or hemp nappies!!
Good luck :)

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies