hf1

please dont think i'm silly lol

My avatar
yellowdaisy
Clothie
Clothie

please dont think i'm silly lol

Postby yellowdaisy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 am

can you get fitted nappies that are also pockets or AIO? I just bought a Itti D'lish (ordered not delivered yet), is this an example of both?

thanks

Clare x

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: please dont think i'm silly lol

Postby victoriaw » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:15 am

It's really confusing to start with isn't it?

No, an Itti is an 'all in two' - it has built in waterproof layer that doesn't need a wrap. And the insert is a snap in one that lays inside rather than in a pocket.

Confusingly, some people call them 'all in ones', but I tend to refer to these as the ones that are one complete piece with sewn in insert.

Also, some people use fitted and sized as the same thing.... An Itti IS sized (rather than birth to potty/one size).

Confused? I am :giggle:

So, you can have fitted either one size or sized. And you can have pockets/AIO/AI2 that are either one size or sized s/m/l...

My avatar
yellowdaisy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby yellowdaisy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:21 am

yes very confused... :giggle:

so does fitted not mean that the only absorbent part is between the legs? Making the nappy more slim.

Clare x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:27 am

yellowdaisy wrote:yes very confused... :giggle:

so does fitted not mean that the only absorbent part is between the legs? Making the nappy more slim.

Clare x

No, a fitted nappy has no waterproof layer so needs to be used with a wrap or wool.

An AIO has both the absorbent part and waterproof layer stitched together so you're only putting on one layer rather than two as you would with a fitted. They take forever to dry though and most aren't particularly absorbent. Most people prefer pockets or AI2s to AIOs.

A pocket nappy has a waterproof (PUL) layer and an inner stay dry layer, usually of fleece or minkee. There is a hole at the back which you stuff with something absorbent - a prefold, terry square or pocket insert.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:33 am

Fitted means the kind of nappy.
A fitted nappy needs a wrap or wool over it. For example a weenotions northen lights is a fitted nappy.

If you click on the classifieds bit at the top its seperated in to sections 1/fitted nappies, 2/pockets/ai2 , 3/wool, 4/wrap and acessories. If you have a look you will get an ideas of what makes are what.

Fitteds need a wrap or wool over.
Pockets/AIo's /AI2's don't need a wrap, pockets need stuffing, AI2's have usually a snap in insert, AIO's are all in one.
Wool is used for over fitted nappies instead of a wrap.
Wraps are used over fitteds.

I hope that helps.

EDT - crossed posted with Louise.

My avatar
yellowdaisy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby yellowdaisy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 am

ok but can you add a booster to an AIO to help with absorbency?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:40 am

yellowdaisy wrote:ok but can you add a booster to an AIO to help with absorbency?

It depends on the AIO, some have an opening at the back where you can add stuffing, others don't. I suppose you could add a booster inside the nappy to those that don't but then you wouldn't have a stay dry layer next to baby's skin. Pockets are a far better system than AIOs as you can tailor the absorbency to your needs and they are much quicker to dry. There's still only the one layer to put on too once the pocket is stuffed.

My avatar
yellowdaisy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby yellowdaisy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:46 am

Ah I see! so the key to comfort for baby is to keep the stay dry layer against the skin and have enough absorbency for baby under that layer (which you can't chose with most AIO's).

Thanks for helping me understand. This will now affect my choice although I will still see how we get on with the AIO's I ordered because Amelia isn't a heavy wetter anyway.

Thanks xx :hug:

My avatar
yellowdaisy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby yellowdaisy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Louise wrote:
yellowdaisy wrote:ok but can you add a booster to an AIO to help with absorbency?

It depends on the AIO, some have an opening at the back where you can add stuffing, others don't. I suppose you could add a booster inside the nappy to those that don't but then you wouldn't have a stay dry layer next to baby's skin. Pockets are a far better system than AIOs as you can tailor the absorbency to your needs and they are much quicker to dry. There's still only the one layer to put on too once the pocket is stuffed.

sorry something else is now confusing me...

if you dont get a stay dry layer from a booster, what do you put into a fitted nappy to add absorbency while keeping a stay dry layer?

thanks x

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies