hf1

Okay, can anyone explain to me what the difference between

My avatar
worcestercat
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Okay, can anyone explain to me what the difference between

Postby worcestercat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

I used totsbots cotton bottoms with a nippa and a ME wrap on my lo when I started on cloth and moved to pockets about a year down the line.

Just thinking ahead for the next one (and having been converted by all this pwetty cloth hanging about on these forums), can anyone explain to me, what the advantages/ disadvantages of using the following would be compared to a ME wrap?

Wool skirty/soaker
Fleece skirty/soaker
I was kind of tthinking the poo would leak out of the holes or slop around inside if an explosion was to be had! :oops:

And are longies supposed to be worn as trousers? :widesmile:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Okay, can anyone explain to me what the difference between

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Wool is lot more breathable than PUL wraps such as ME...

we use wool 99.9% of the time...So My son wears longies as trousers and soakers/shorties under sleepsuits/sleeping bag at night :)

Fleece can be chucken in the washing machine but has to be washed after every use were as wool can be worn untill it gets wiffy/dirty and then it has to be hand washed and lanolised (check out the pure wool section for lots of advice!)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Using wool or fleece rather than PUL allows more air to circulate and keeps the nappy area cooler. Wool is absorbent and water resistant - it can absorb up to 35% of its weight in moisture before starting to feel damp on the outside. It works by absorbing some of the urine from the nappy and allowing it to evaporate. You'll find LO's nappy is drier with a wool cover over the top than it would be with PUL. Wool needs treating with lanolin to help keep it water resistant but fleece doesn't.
Fleece works in a similar way although it is not absorbent just water resistant. Fleece needs to be washed after every use but wool can be used several times before it needs washing and/or lanolising. Longies/shorties/skirties are all nappy covers that are also used as clothing in place of trousers/shorts/skirts. Soakers are generally used under normal clothing.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 pm

WTS

i think 80% of poo explosions are from the nappy not fitting as well as others. Since shifting types and finding ones that suit DD better we have had FAR FAR less poo explosions :) l

We use wool 80% of the time and fleece the rest. You can get fleece/wool wraps that are similar shapes to PUL wraps :)

Wool also keeps lo warm in winter and cool in summer. Magic!

My avatar
worcestercat
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby worcestercat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:45 pm

So in theory, you could not ever have to use a wrap again? But your advice would be to find a better fitting 'fitted' nappy (perhaps goodmamas or such like?)

Do people find wool easier to use than wraps and what would be the minimum number to have?

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:25 pm

If you're worried about poo explosions on your longies and too much washing too do you can get some very very fine(see thru in fact) merino nappy pants I think the brand is engel - hejhog sell them. I've used them as an underlayer under longies. They sell them as nappy pants themselves but they are far too thin for that.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:23 am

I never use pul wraps only ever wool or fleece. As far as how many, just start of with a couple of bits, fleece is much cheaper than wool so you could start there first, check out the classifieds for bargains.
Wool is so lovely to look at as well but be warned once you start you won't stop :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
worcestercat
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby worcestercat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:50 pm

Kirstyh wrote:I never use pul wraps only ever wool or fleece. As far as how many, just start of with a couple of bits, fleece is much cheaper than wool so you could start there first, check out the classifieds for bargains.
Wool is so lovely to look at as well but be warned once you start you won't stop :wink: :giggle:

And here I was thinking I might try one Goodmamas and one wool soaker... just to get in tune with 'the other side'.

I see it as a 'professional calling' you see as at school we are studying the 1940s... :giggle:

My avatar
worcestercat
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby worcestercat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:52 pm

ramsons wrote:If you're worried about poo explosions on your longies and too much washing too do you can get some very very fine(see thru in fact) merino nappy pants I think the brand is engel - hejhog sell them. I've used them as an underlayer under longies. They sell them as nappy pants themselves but they are far too thin for that.

Ew! Big Granny pants! :hohoho:

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies