hf1

help! nappies stopped working & some never worked!

My avatar
Suzannah
Clothie
Clothie

help! nappies stopped working & some never worked!

Postby Suzannah » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi there! Any experts out there who can help? I chose to use washable nappies on my first baby, nearly five months now, and am starting to have troubles.
I got on really well with small pocket fuzzibunz at first. But now they leak. I think it's coming through the waterproof layer as opposed to leaking out of the sides. Can they be reproofed? I wash them at 40 degrees (although it says 35), could this have damaged them so soon? Or is it that I just need to move to the next size up, now that my daughter is ready for the medium size? I was hoping they'd last for another baby. If not, I'm not sure I want to buy the next size in this brand. But they were fantastic before!!
I'm also having trouble getting FB (BTP) to work AT ALL! And with the BTP Tots bots Rainbow, very limited success. All I had working was my FBs and Bum Genius BTP (BGs are so amazing that I save them for night as my daughter sleeps 12 hours, I need good ones for night). Little Lambs and Kushies also worked ok in the day but I'm not sure I want to buy the next size up in those cos I like the wicking effect of FBs & BGs better. I feel like buying just BGs, but I invested so much in these other brands I'd love to make them work.
Also any tips on brands that might suit a BG shaped baby?
Thanks, I'd appreciate any tips and even the chance to swap my hardly used FB (BTP) that might suit someone else's bottom!

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: help! nappies stopped working & some never worked!

Postby paintedclaws » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Hiya

What inserts are you using in your FB? For us the inserts that came with them just aren't enough so I add a hemp or bamboo booster behind the microfibre and then avoid microfibre all together on Noah because it just doesn't work for him.

You can tumbledry the pockets that are leaking through the PUL to reset them, I've done it wih pockets in the past and it works a treat.

If the BTP aren't working for you, why not sell then and replace with some preloved BG's? Then you're not spending any more and you'll have nappies that work for you.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Suzannah wrote:Hi there! Any experts out there who can help? I chose to use washable nappies on my first baby, nearly five months now, and am starting to have troubles.
I got on really well with small pocket fuzzibunz at first. But now they leak. I think it's coming through the waterproof layer as opposed to leaking out of the sides. Can they be reproofed? I wash them at 40 degrees (although it says 35), could this have damaged them so soon? Or is it that I just need to move to the next size up, now that my daughter is ready for the medium size? I was hoping they'd last for another baby. If not, I'm not sure I want to buy the next size in this brand. But they were fantastic before!!

What inserts are you using? when the nappy leaks are the inserts soaking wet? If they are soaking wet then you need more absorbancy in them, add bamboo or hemp under the microfibre...or ditch microfibre altogether and use bamboo and hemp underneath...

Suzannah wrote:I'm also having trouble getting FB (BTP) to work AT ALL! And with the BTP Tots bots Rainbow, very limited success. All I had working was my FBs and Bum Genius BTP (BGs are so amazing that I save them for night as my daughter sleeps 12 hours, I need good ones for night). Little Lambs and Kushies also worked ok in the day but I'm not sure I want to buy the next size up in those cos I like the wicking effect of FBs & BGs better. I feel like buying just BGs, but I invested so much in these other brands I'd love to make them work.
Also any tips on brands that might suit a BG shaped baby?
Thanks, I'd appreciate any tips and even the chance to swap my hardly used FB (BTP) that might suit someone else's bottom!

Whats wrong with the FB BTP? is it the fit? do you get leg gape? or is it the absorbancy again? you may need extra boosters in them as above. we used BG's on my daughter and we also used Happy Heniy BTP nappies too.
Never used a tots bots rainbow before? what do you mean limited sucess? do they leak? what wraps are you using?
I love bamboo little lambs and just make sure that i line them with a fleece liner to keep my sons bum dry...

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Try giving the fuzzies a 10 min tumble on hot to re-seal the pul and also like others have siad you may ned to use more absorbant boosting such as hemp or bamboo.
As for washing, 40 is fine and won't damage them, I was all nappies at 60 inc fuzzies, WN's etc xx

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:15 pm

hiya, often with tots i find it's the wrap over the top (if it the ones i am thinking of, 2 parters) that can be the issue, we nippa the actual nappies as even the size 1 are pretty huge, but different wraps over the top have different effects. some love the tots own wraps but i hear motherease wraps (tried them they work really well) are sometimes better.x

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:35 pm

I would suggest strip washing them with no detergent and getting some extra bamboo inserts.

Vickix

My avatar
Green Jelly
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Green Jelly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:24 pm

I would also suggest boosting the Fuzzi Bunz nappies. You could try doubling up with two of the inserts you have and see if the leaks stop. If they do then as the pps say bamboo or hemp underneath the microfibre work really well.

I would also say try a Motherease Rikki (or Airflow) over the Tots Bots. It is often the wrap that causes the leaks and these in my experience are very reliable. These will work with the Little Lambs as well - just make sure it is not too small or too big. Using a separate microfleece lining with the nappies will have the same wicking effect as the BG/FB lining. You can buy liners from nappy sellers or cut up a thin fleece blanket to the size of the nappies.

I think with the FB BTP you need to make sure the leg elastic is pulled fairly tight (same type of tension as the sized FBs). You may also need the extra boosting to make them work.

I also washed all my nappies and wraps at 60C and they are fine....

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies