hf1

Talk to me about wee notion northern lights

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Talk to me about wee notion northern lights

Postby HighlandMum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:59 am

I have 2 wee notions nappies now, a night nappy and a side snap pocket (both bought preloved).

Come payday i really want to order some new ones and im thinking since i have gone on a bit of a wool buying bender that i should go for northern lights rather than pockets.

Anyhoo, can you all tell me how wonderful they are please so i can convince myself this is a good idea. Ive heard people saying that cotton outers arent really that great, is this true?

Also, Sandy is quite chunky and already in the large for the SS and the WNNN, so should i go for large ot the one size in the NL?

Also, do you bother with embroidery on your fitteds?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: Talk to me about wee notion northern lights

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:05 am

Cotton outers per se aren't bad for fitteds. What matters is whether the fabric is woven or knitted. Knitted fabrics stretch much more than woven ones do, so it's easier to get a good fit. Cotton outers for pockets can be a bad idea, as they often cause wicking.

Can't advise on sizing, as they've changed their sizing since I last bought WN NL. I sold most of mine on as the fit had got strange on Iris. But when she was your LO's age, a large fitted her perfectly. She just got skinner and they started to gape. :(

Iris only wears fitteds and wool, so we bother with embroidery here. ;)

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:20 am

If he's fitting in the other ones fine (especially the nightnotion) then he should he fine with a large.

As has already been said cotton outers are fine with fitteds just be careful with woven because you may not ge a good fit because of the lack of stretch. That said we've got 2 woven ones and they're a great fit on Noah, as good as his Knitted cotton outer anyway. Poppy has a minky outer one which fits her perfectly (medium) and has a fairy embroidery on it. She's only recently chunked out though. Noah was in larges alot earlier than Poppy.

I love embroidered nappies, I know some think it's a waste because they're covered up but they make me smile so I will continue to buy them.

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Love them! I have about 8 WNNL!

They are a bigger more generous fit than the large pocket but I would say if fits a large pocket then would fit a large WNNL. I have minkee outers on mine, just cause I like the look and the fact that they always feel dry to the touch meaning the wool rarely even gets damp over the top. I have minkee outer WNNN too! ;-)

They are nice and absorbent too.... :-)

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:28 pm

I love mine - but do find the absorbancy varies depending on what outer you have :shock:

I bought a preloved with the new minki/microfibre topped insert - big mistake - not very absorbant at all - so took the insert out and use my own!

Best ones for absorbancy are definately the bamboo velour outer ones i have, worst is the one with no outer !

Fit is great on my LO, she is in larges on the 2nd tightest snaps :D same as her large pockets!

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:05 pm

I love them I have had them in small and we are know in medium, we have had velour outer, woven and cotton jersey, want to try a minkee next we don't have the minkee topped inserts we just put our own minkee liners in they are our most absorbant nappy, still dry in parts even at night,
I think the sizing is very generous too, I have embroidary on one but this was preloved, I wouldn't pay extra for it well maybe just on one :giggle:

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks ladies, will put them on the "to buy" list :)

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies