hf1

B@$%&*y Customs :-O

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

B@$%&*y Customs :-O

Postby ebonina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:50 pm

I ordered some nappies from DnF (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunknfluff ... 473419240/) and customs have charged me VAT! If that isn't bad enough there is £8 on top for RM handling fee :( Has anybody managed to get a refund off them as I've looked on the HMRC website and from what is on there it sounds like there shouldn't have been any charges. This is what they say:

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:
customs duty
excise duty
import VAT
-
-
-
Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to commercial goods over £18 in value, and on gifts that are over £40 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the:
basic value of goods, plus
postage, packing and insurance, plus
any import (Customs or Excise) duties charged

Customs duty - Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £135 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than £9. Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.
The amount of customs duty charged will depend on the type of goods imported and their value stated on the customs declaration CN22/CN23 (converted using the rates of exchange for the month of importation as shown on our website).
The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.
Where the value of gifts is below £630 per consignment a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage.

Excise duty - this is charged on alcohol and tobacco products and is additional to customs duty. The excise duty on alcohol products such as wines and spirits depends on the alcohol content and volume. In the case of wine and cider whether they are sparkling or still. Duty on cigarettes is based on a percentage of the recommended retail selling price plus a flat rate amount per 1,000 cigarettes. On other tobacco products, for example, cigars or hand rolling tobacco, excise duty is charged at a flat rate per kilogram.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: B@$%&*y Customs :-O

Postby Louise » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 pm

AFAIK you can get a refund on VAT but not import duty or their handling fee. I think you need to fill in a form and send it off. Have you checked their website for info?

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:58 pm

No, but I've tried to ring the number on the sticker on the parcel. It either rings for ages without being answered or is engaged. I'm going to write to them. I hope I do get a refund of the handling fee, if they have charged me by mistake I think they should pay for their error IMHO.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 pm

I was told (on Wednesday last week) to photo copy the customs sitcker thingy and the form the sender fills out and send with a covering letter requesting a refund to the address on the sticker. I was also told by the man at HMRC that you can also request a form to get the handling fee back too! I was surprised so got him to repeat that last bit! :giggle:

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 pm

50ftQueenie wrote:I was told (on Wednesday last week) to photo copy the customs sitcker thingy and the form the sender fills out and send with a covering letter requesting a refund to the address on the sticker. I was also told by the man at HMRC that you can also request a form to get the handling fee back too! I was surprised so got him to repeat that last bit! :giggle:

Great, hope you get a refund too :)

At least the nappies are lovely and will fit until potty training. I need to get some more in the next co-op.

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 pm

If they didn't tick 'gift' they won't refund end of story I'm afraid - hopefully they have! If you buy in from US always get them to tick gift as there is no way round it. They can tell from the customs number you give them over the phone - they know everything and they seem to have grown very fond of me ...... :roll:

They do answer the phone eventually!!!

Vicki

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:29 am

i doubt you'll get any refund and i agree it's very annoying.

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:40 am

I know Weeywoo got a refund when she was charged VAT on her GMs from the States.

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies