hf1

B@$%&*y Customs :-O

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: B@$%&*y Customs :-O

Postby ebonina » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:45 am

Vicki wrote:If they didn't tick 'gift' they won't refund end of story I'm afraid - hopefully they have! If you buy in from US always get them to tick gift as there is no way round it. They can tell from the customs number you give them over the phone - they know everything and they seem to have grown very fond of me ...... :roll:

They do answer the phone eventually!!!

Vicki

But that would be fraud! On the packet it says goods purchased with a value over £18 (for VAT purposes) and over £135 (for import duty purposes) or a gift over the value of £40 are subject to customs charges. So I don't see why you are suggesting that anyway.

50ftQueenie wrote:I know Weeywoo got a refund when she was charged VAT on her GMs from the States.

Thats more like it! A precedence has been set :)

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am

Keep phoning that number! It took me 2 days to get through but in the end I did, They will want the customs declaration and the sticker which has been stuck on the box/packet, as long as it's nappies they will refund you the VAT :D but you really have to keep ringing that number

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:31 am

ebonina wrote:
Vicki wrote:If they didn't tick 'gift' they won't refund end of story I'm afraid - hopefully they have! If you buy in from US always get them to tick gift as there is no way round it. They can tell from the customs number you give them over the phone - they know everything and they seem to have grown very fond of me ...... :roll:

They do answer the phone eventually!!!

Vicki

But that would be fraud! On the packet it says goods purchased with a value over £18 (for VAT purposes) and over £135 (for import duty purposes) or a gift over the value of £40 are subject to customs charges. So I don't see why you are suggesting that anyway.

50ftQueenie wrote:I know Weeywoo got a refund when she was charged VAT on her GMs from the States.

Thats more like it! A precedence has been set :)

Yes it would be fraudulent. I don't think people realise how much they will get charged. It used to be £1 for handling which was fine, but £8 is alot. I also pay £13.50 for express handling but I know it beforehand.

As a holder of an EORI - which most businesses importing should really hold kind of makes it a bit hard to go under the radar - most stuff from China doesn't get stopped at all - it is the US goods that they have a particular liking for.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... ment#P5_85

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 am

But nappies aren't vat free so not sure you'd be entitled to a refund anyway? Although i think it may be a reduced vat rate for nappies like for tampax etc.

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:01 am

As far as I'm aware nappies are vat free, the woman on phone told me they were and I was given a full refund :-?

British parents currently pay no VAT on nappies, based on an agreement at the time of Britain's entry into the European Union.

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5141412.stm, It's only a news site so not gospel as such

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 am

I have had a full refund of VAT from customs and then sent this on to RM to get the £8 refunded too - just make sure you keep copies of everything.

I always ask the seller to put "children's clothing" on the label as that is VAT free and nappies are children's clothing :wink:

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:06 am

weefywoo wrote:As far as I'm aware nappies are vat free, the woman on phone told me they were and I was given a full refund :-?

British parents currently pay no VAT on nappies, based on an agreement at the time of Britain's entry into the European Union.

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5141412.stm, It's only a news site so not gospel as such

I have been told the same by HMRC.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 am

Yup, children's clothes and nappies are VAT free and you can claim back any VAT charges paid.

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:21 am

I knew nappies were but not children's clothing - right then - am on a mission! Have about £1K to reclaim then lol

Wish me luck .... have kept all the paperwork for them ....

Vicki

PreviousNext

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies