hf1

B@$%&*y Customs :-O

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: B@$%&*y Customs :-O

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:24 am

Vicki wrote:I knew nappies were but not children's clothing - right then - am on a mission! Have about £1K to reclaim then lol

Wish me luck .... have kept all the paperwork for them ....

Vicki

:giggle: :giggle:
FC

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 am

Vicki wrote:I knew nappies were but not children's clothing - right then - am on a mission! Have about £1K to reclaim then lol

Vicki

Good luck. As long as they meet all these requirements you should get a refund :wink:

1.3 What are the conditions for zero-rating?

You may zero-rate your supply when all of the following four conditions are met:

* it must be an article of clothing or footwear
* it must not be made of fur
* it must be designed for young children and
* it must only be suitable for young children.

Nappies are definitely VAT free

2.2.1 Baby clothing

Most items of baby wear, such as bonnets, bootees and matinee jackets, can be clearly recognised as clothing, but the following less obvious items are also considered to be articles of clothing:

* bibs, including plastic bibs with a curved tray at the base
* hooded rain covers for pushchairs, provided they are suitable for the baby to wear as a rain cape when out of the pushchair
* nappies (and nappy liners), both disposable and re-usable, provided they are held out for sale appropriately
* babies’ shawls, provided they are designed and held out as such
* padded sleeping garments, similar in construction to sleeping bags, but shaped at the neck and armholes or having sleeves and/or legs and
* towelling bathrobes designed with a hood or sleeves enabling the baby to be wrapped in them as a garment.

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:40 am

Ooooo Louise. That, is VERY helpful information. :wine:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 am

Louise wrote:

Vicki

Good luck. As long as they meet all these requirements you should get a refund :wink:

1.3 What are the conditions for zero-rating?

You may zero-rate your supply when all of the following four conditions are met:

* it must be an article of clothing or footwear
* it must not be made of fur
* it must be designed for young children and
* it must only be suitable for young children.

Nappies are definitely VAT free

2.2.1 Baby clothing

Most items of baby wear, such as bonnets, bootees and matinee jackets, can be clearly recognised as clothing, but the following less obvious items are also considered to be articles of clothing:

* bibs, including plastic bibs with a curved tray at the base
* hooded rain covers for pushchairs, provided they are suitable for the baby to wear as a rain cape when out of the pushchair
* nappies (and nappy liners), both disposable and re-usable, provided they are held out for sale appropriately
* babies’ shawls, provided they are designed and held out as such
* padded sleeping garments, similar in construction to sleeping bags, but shaped at the neck and armholes or having sleeves and/or legs and
* towelling bathrobes designed with a hood or sleeves enabling the baby to be wrapped in them as a garment.

Full info can be found here.

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks Louise - when I have contacted them before (lots of times) they have refused to process a claim hence my post earlier about gifting it (((I know you hate that word on CNT lol)))

Vicki

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Nappies definitely VAT free. Although I had to pay it on my Holden's Landing delivery recently as they tried to claim on the phone that only 'some' nappies were VAT free and I had to submit information about fabric type to get a refund. Bollox. I paid it anyway otherwise I wouldn't have seen them for weeks, but now have to do the paperwork :roll:

Nappies are subject to import duty though, and hence you should never get the fee refunded. (Although I have had it refunded once before too because they said they made a mistake about the VAT, but was a gesture of goodwill not a right)

Oh, and Parcelforce always seem to put every charge under 'VAT' on the form rather than splitting it into VAT and import duty, so that really doesn't help with clarity...

Yep, Vicki, children's clothes are definitely VAT free too :o)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

victoriaw wrote:Nappies definitely VAT free. Although I had to pay it on my Holden's Landing delivery recently as they tried to claim on the phone that only 'some' nappies were VAT free and I had to submit information about fabric type to get a refund. Bollox. I paid it anyway otherwise I wouldn't have seen them for weeks, but now have to do the paperwork :roll:

Nappies are subject to import duty though, and hence you should never get the fee refunded. (Although I have had it refunded once before too because they said they made a mistake about the VAT, but was a gesture of goodwill not a right)

Oh, and Parcelforce always seem to put every charge under 'VAT' on the form rather than splitting it into VAT and import duty, so that really doesn't help with clarity...

:x :evil: . Hope you get the refund through quickly. I've just found out that smaller parcels shouldn't be charged import duty though, only those with a value over £135.

Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Louise wrote:I've just found out that smaller parcels shouldn't be charged import duty though, only those with a value over £135.

Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

That's only recently changed I think - it used to be about £60.

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 pm

Louise wrote:
victoriaw wrote:Nappies definitely VAT free. Although I had to pay it on my Holden's Landing delivery recently as they tried to claim on the phone that only 'some' nappies were VAT free and I had to submit information about fabric type to get a refund. Bollox. I paid it anyway otherwise I wouldn't have seen them for weeks, but now have to do the paperwork :roll:

:x :evil: . Hope you get the refund through quickly. I've just found out that smaller parcels shouldn't be charged import duty though, only those with a value over £135.

Louise! We finally agree! :wine: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies