hf1

Potentially tall baby...

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Potentially tall baby...

Postby Fliblet » Sun May 09, 2010 11:50 am

Hi all - first time posting to the site :)

I'm a first time mum-to-be (little boy, due in about 5 and a half weeks) and I'm very keen to use cloth nappies right from the start. I've spent ages researching the various types etc and think I have a pretty good idea what I'm after, but would appreciate some advice from the experts!

Both me and my husband are 6ft tall, so it's pretty safe to say that he's going to be a tall baby. :mrgreen: I've had advice from The Nappy Lady to say that Bumbles are good for tall babies right through to potty training, and reading the reviews, lots of people seem to say they're very reliable, but don't necessarily look that great - very bulky I've heard.

I love the look of the Tots Bots Bamboozle Stretch, and some sites seem to suggest these may also be suitable for a taller child - does anyone have experience of this? The Nappy Lady seems to think that although they are longer than previous Tots Bots, they still won't last right through to potty training for a tall baby. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me different as the Stretch looks much less bulky and people seem to be raving about it performance-wise! :D

Any thoughts? Thanks very much :)

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Potentially tall baby...

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun May 09, 2010 12:24 pm

HI, congratulations on your new baby. I had some advice from the nappy lady and it was a bit off target to be honest. I did try some bimbles and didnt like them, and yes they are very bulky.

I LOVE bamboozles stretch, I only use them at t he moment on one of my twins. Lachlan is somewhere near 20lbs and still using size one, and the velcro is almost touching in the middle, so i'm hoping the size 2 will do him up to PT'ing. They are much much slimer than the older bamboozles and the velcro is 'easier' to use.

riley is a tall baby and she had a lot of success with bambinex bamboo nappies, they are very long in the body bit and nice and slim too.

The thing I did 'wrong' at the start of my nappy addiction was buy lots of one kind, which i then had to rapidly sell for various reasons. My advice would be just get a couple of each and go from there.

Good luck though :hug:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 pm

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy and welcome to the tree.

You can't judge that he will be tall necessarily, me and my OH are both pretty short 5"5 I believe, but our DS is incredibly tall for his age, always has been, where as our DD is a right little shorty like us, lol, DS is over the 91st centile where DD is below the 2nd centile. So while your LO has a good chance of being tall I wouldn't take it as a given ;)

If he is going to be tall, a onesize or birth to potty won't be high enough in the rise when he's older, generally you comprimise fit when going for a onesize, not always as this is a generalisation, but understandably a 2 or 3 size system is likely to fit better! I would reccomend getting a few different nappies to try, I like bumbles but they would be huge on a NB, no matter how tall they are, and they stopped fitting my DS at 18 months (ish). Personally I'd focus on getting some smalls and sz1s, and then sell them to fund your size 2s and mediums and larges, you could get some OS too, but really you won't get a good fit of a newborn or a tall toddler with a OS. I would reccomend getting some small sandies and diddy diapers as these have a good rise but are known to fit newborns well ;)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sun May 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Both my babies have been long and thin! I have lots of experience in this area and have tried (and failed) with lots but each baby is different so this is just my experience. My favourties have been Motherease Sandys, Tots Bots, BumGenius One Size and Thirsties. All have given good rise, fitted the waist and the leg which was the issue for me - lots of wee running out of the leg holes with other brands. Itti Bitti are just too low in the rise so I wouldnt suggest these at all. BG are THE ONLY one size that have fitted at all. I havent tried the stretch but have heard its good.

HTH and good luck!

My avatar
tinkerbell
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby tinkerbell » Sun May 09, 2010 2:11 pm

I've found that Happy Heiny one size pocket nappies are bigger and higher in the rise than some others. DS has just turned 2 and is very tall for his age and these fit better than our BumGenius and they velcro has stayed in better condition..also, they are also bigger round the waist....the tabs still nearly touch on DS. We didn't use them on a newborn though so I don't know how they would be.

Good luck x

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Sun May 09, 2010 2:21 pm

The Nappy Lady is always very keen on making sure you have lots of one kind of nappy, which I would't recommend. Babies change shape and having a few different kinds of nappies means that for a while one will be your favourite and first off the pile, but that may change over time. I have never bought a nappy that was a disaster, but have always done my homework on reviews and gone with what I think will work. I also had some one size nappies as workhorses that I knew would last a long time (maybe not to potty training but headed that way) and some trimmer nappies like sandy's for under trimmer fitting outfits. I then branched out into some pockets when he grew out of the size 1s. Fast forward to no2 and she has lots of sized fancy fitteds, All in twos and one size pockets. I got a bit of a nappy shopping habit :giggle:

I have tested a bamboozle stretch (a size two on my dinky 2 year old and thought it was a great nappy). Bambinex and stuffies http://www.angeltots.co.uk/ourshop/cat_ ... ppies.html have a reputation for having a long rise. Stuffies are fab nappies - I've has at least one in every size and I think have free postage atm.

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Sun May 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks very much for advice. I think I'm starting to realise that trying to buy all my nappies in one go before he's even born really isn't the best idea! :D

I think I'll just get some lovely little ones to start off with and then build up my stash. I can see I could definitely end up a complete addict. I keep browsing the Weenotions site and drooling! :giggle:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sun May 09, 2010 5:44 pm

I would say get some size one nippa fastening nappies to start with. Diddy Diapers are only £5 each and the nippa will mean you can get a good fit. Then once you have a better idea of shape you can blow the budget on whatever you like.

The other thing to consider about buying all the same nappy is that they will all dry at the same time. I dont have a tumble so find it useful to have some pockets as well as fitteds, so I always have plenty available.

A customer last week bought 15 Thirties for her unborn baby...I practially begged her not to but she insisted. I just hope they fit otherwise she has spent a lot of money for nothing:-?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun May 09, 2010 6:10 pm

I used a lot of Fuzzis with Martha, and she is tall and skinny. The medium size fit her from 7 months and she is still in them now at night (she is dry over night but likes the security of a nappy!)

I too found that one size nappies she grew out of - she grew out of Pop ins at about 20 months :shock: and BG were a stretch from nearly 2, so I would be tempted to go with sized nappies and sell on as you outgrow, since you will probably end up selling on most of the one size anyway before LO potty trains.

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies