hf1

help- newbie in need of nappy advice

My avatar
mummyto2monkeys
Clothie
Clothie

help- newbie in need of nappy advice

Postby mummyto2monkeys » Mon May 24, 2010 5:28 am

Hi there- well I'm on day 3 of cloth- my dd is 8 months and up to recently I always felt a bit icky about reusables- lol then I started potty training ds and thought what's all the fuss about :hohoho:

well I have a mix of tots bots fluffles size 2 and tots bots bamboozles (both nippa fastening)- and after a friend has kindly loaned us some wraps to try I have discovered dd is allergic to ME wraps- her little legs blistered after a few minutes in ME wraps :( - luckily my friend also included a natures baby wrap- which seems to be great- so I have some otw- as well as a thirsties wrap and a thirsties fab - fitted nappy to try.

I am looking for advice though as my dd is about 21lb and has chunky thighs (11") when measured- I am finding it a bit of a struggle to do the tots bots up and I'm struggling to see how these will last. Also I have been boosting and lining the tots bots bamboozles for night use and my dd is just soaking in them- not leaking- just really wet- I had to change her 3 times last night and even with the fleece liner her little bum was really wet. We are soaking through the fluffles in about 40 mins during the day but I still prefer these as they are not as damp against her little bottom. I'm just not sure I like the bamboozles they seem to just get wet and stay wet- leaking back onto the fleece liner.

Can you reccomend a good nappy for day use for a heavy wetter and a good nappy for night use too please. Will have to sell all of these on and go back to disposables as I try to get enough funds to buy new nappies :(

I really want to do this- so please help- my dh would have us back in sposies now- he has refused to have anything to do with reusables :x and can't understand why I want to. But I love them- I love dd's big cloth bum- I don't in the least bit mind that I have to clean poo of her nappies and I love that she no longer stinks of disposables now- I always assumed it was the wee that smelled :oops:

Thankyou in advance :wink:

Dawn- mummy to seren and harris

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: help- newbie in need of nappy advice

Postby emmajayne33 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:53 am

:idea:

OK, firstly regarding night time - I like Wee Notions Minkee night nappies, Puddlekins and Holden's landing Bedbugs (although not HL's aren't great for heavy wetters, be we boost with hemp and it works ok for us). We don't get on with Totsbots either, Isaac soaks them in next to no time. Also we use wool instead of a PUL wrap, wool allows some of the moisture to escape and is super comfy ;)

For daytime, I quite like Puddlekins happy days, Holdens Landing, and Jimmy riddles. I've heard really good things about Dunk 'n' fluff and Fluff 'n' Stuff nappies too. I'd recommend some hemp boosters too, they are really slim and work really well :) We love Easy peasy hemp boosters.

I'd definitely recommend checking out the classifieds, I found the best way to find the nappies that suited us was to buy a selection as opposed to sticking with one brand. Then you can find what fits and works best for your little girl without spending a fortune!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon May 24, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Dawn

I have a heavy wetter too. I find that the little lamb bamboo nappies last longer than the tots bots bamboo for us. WAHM nappies tend to work better for heavy wetter than the mass produced ones. We get on well with Goodmamas, Wee notions northern lights & dunk n fluff. With a heavy wetter, you will definitely need a dedicated night nappy.

Sorry dd is screaming will come back

Everything that Jayne said.
Last edited by monsterm on Mon May 24, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
mummyto2monkeys
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummyto2monkeys » Mon May 24, 2010 9:16 am

Thankyou ladies- lol so much fluff to go looking for :giggle: all tips are very gratefully received :lol: I'm so pleased it's not just my dd who soaks through the totsbots- I know a few people who swear by them- they just aren't working for us :-?

My avatar
timtam
Clothie
Clothie

Postby timtam » Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi :idea: I'm in no way a nappy expert but am having to change things around to deal with a heavy wetter as well! I used totsbots/motherease/cotton Diddy Diapers with my eldest boy & we got on fairly well with them but have had to rethink things completely with my 2nd boy. He is a very very heavy wetter and is also quite chunky around belly and thighs at not quite 6 months old. I've had to completely change my nappy stash as anything like tots bots gets soaked through within 30 mins.

I needed something fast-drying so am using mainly Bumgenius V3s during the day. Although the microfibre inserts are not great for heavy wetters, the nappy lining always feels dry against the skin and I also use homemade fleece liners. I've boosted the BGs with little lamb bamboo inserts plus an easy peasy hemp booster topped with the BG newborn microfibre insert and this is working well although I may look for a different bamboo insert as the LL ones are not quite as absorbent as I'd hoped. DS's bum hasn't been wet at all and he hasn't had any leaky nappies - so the BGs have been a big success.

I also have some Real Easy nappies (old style) size medium and I've been using them as a night nappy, they are working really really well for us. They have a sewn in hemp insert plus a microfibre pad and a stay-dry inner fleecy lining and they are very adjustable and good for chunky thighs. They have a massive pocket for stuffing with extra boosters, I add a folded P'tit Dessous insert for overnight and in the morning this is wet but not sopping, the hemp is also damp, the baby however is dry without any red marks on thighs etc! The old style Real Easys are being sold off cheaper at the moment.

I also have a few Micro Diddy Diapers which I boost with the LL bamboo topped with a fleece liner, medium Thirsties wrap on top, these are ok during the day if I run out of BGs and am staying around the house but they do get soaked pretty quickly.

The other nappy I've used at night is a Nature Babies Lovable (microfibre pocket nappy with fleece inner), the pocket is huge so can be stuffed with loads of boosters, I always put a hemp one in plus one or two LL bamboo and it has its own microfibre insert on top as well, nippa fastening, extra fleece liner, Thirsties wrap on top again, it is quite a good nappy for nights as the fleece stays dry against the skin but not as reliable as the Real Easy for us, as the microfibre can get quite wet.

I have a Wee Notions night nappy on the way which I am really looking forward to using, and after taking advice on here I'm planning to use a fleece soaker over it rather than a PUL wrap, I have also bought a fitted hemp/cotton nappy to try although it may be too slow-drying to use often.

I love the classifieds, it has been really easy to find nappies, inserts etc to try without having to spend loads on brand new stuff. There is a "Wanted" section as well which you could maybe post on if you have a particular nappy in mind?

My avatar
mummyto2monkeys
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummyto2monkeys » Wed May 26, 2010 9:28 am

thankyou :D everyone has been so helpful- I have gone a bit mad on classifieds and now have 7 nappies and 1 pair of longies otw- wnnn, ud nn, ho, hlbb, lls nn, guerrilla nn- err I think that's right so I have lots otw to try- and I'm still looking on classifieds for the other nappies you have suggested :oops: thankyou :hug:

Dawn (rapidly becoming addicted to buying nappies :hohoho: )

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies