Softening nappies?

My avatar
bexta
Clothie
Clothie

Softening nappies?

Postby bexta » Fri May 28, 2010 7:42 am

Hello, newbie question here!

I bought some preloved Nappy Nation nappies for a bargain price. They're in very good condition, but they feel a bit 'crunchy'. Is there anything I can do to soften them? I want to wash them again before I have my baby, but know we're not supposed to use things like fabric conditioner for baby things. They just don't feel like they'd be very comfortable at the moment. Thanks for reading.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Softening nappies?

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 am

Do you have a tumble dryer? Dry them outside or on airers and then stick them in the dryer for 10-15 minutes should do it xx

My avatar
mummy2threeboys
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby mummy2threeboys » Fri May 28, 2010 7:47 am

or you can rub the fabric together if you haven't got a tumble dryer, I've also heard leaving them out in the rain softens them up too.

My avatar
bexta
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bexta » Fri May 28, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks for the quick replys! :) We haven't got a tumble drier, but I'll definately try rubbing them together and leaving them in the rain when I wash them.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri May 28, 2010 8:18 am

I've used fabric softner on baby clothes no problem but you shouldn't use it on nappies as it affects the absorbency - it kinda coats the fibres and repels water...

Give them a wash with some dri-pak soda crystals and when you're drying them give them a shake/bash/rub every so often and when they're fully dry give them a shake/rub together and that should help soften them up too...

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Fri May 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Sounds mad but if I rinse them first before I wash them they come out softer than if I forget to do it. The rubbing together does work too :)

What are they made of? I don't like hemp fitted nappies because they get crunchier than other fabrics.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Fri May 28, 2010 12:54 pm

the rain works wonders on mine! :lol: it was accidental though

My avatar
bexta
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bexta » Fri May 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi, they're just made of cotton towelling (don't know the proper 'nappy' word but they feel like bath towels)

Will definately try rubbing them about as they dry though. It's a maternity leave project, so not for a couple of weeks.

My avatar
mummy2threeboys
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby mummy2threeboys » Fri May 28, 2010 6:55 pm

microfibre :wink:

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies