Microfibre preferences

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Microfibre preferences

Postby usinukveg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi All,

I asked for some nappy advice from a site and the recommendation that I received was microfibre all the way (teddies).

I decided to go through the forums a bit to see how people felt about microfibre. There are lots of :| or :-? around the mention of microfibre nappies, but I'm having a hard time understanding why it's not great (except that wee can 'squish out' and some people just don't like the feel of it)

Obviously I have no experience whatsoever in this area, but it seems like a quick drying nappy would be ideal for our minuscule flat with no drier and radiators that you can't hang things on.

So what do you think about microfibre? Opinions from people with minuscule flats especially cherished!

Thanks so much :idea:

My avatar
CharlottesClan
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Microfibre preferences

Postby CharlottesClan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm

microfibre does dry very fast.

however, its no good for heavy wetters, it can get powder build up in it worse then other fibres, it looks old fast it goes grey (yuk)

i think it depends on the type of child you have really, microfibre is no good for us here, george can out pee a little lambs in 20mins :shock:

one piece of advice DONT buy a whole set of the same nappies. its a waste of money if you dont like them/ have a poor fit/ have a heavy wetter you've wasted alot of money.

tips for being in a flat: get one of those over the bath airers, hang nappies on coat hangers in the airing cupboard, tie washing line cord from one window to another outside and hang nappies on that.

also, as long as you buy enough nappies, it doesnt matter how long it takes them to dry :hohoho:

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:05 pm

I had a teddy nappy for DD and it was one of the nicer microfibre fitteds. I had one of the original fluffles and could bear the way the fibre "caught" on my hands.

They are on the bulky side, and the moisture can squish out as the fibres are like drinking straws, but on the up side the quick drying time is hard to beat.

Lots of pockets come with mf inserts, bumgenius, wonderoos. You don't have to have all the same type of nappies - although the online finder things led you in that direction. Especially The Nappy Lady. Variety seems to stress them out.

My avatar
CharlottesClan
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby CharlottesClan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:08 pm

kermitgirl wrote: You don't have to have all the same type of nappies - although the online finder things led you in that direction. Especially The Nappy Lady. Variety seems to stress them out.

:hohoho: :hohoho: that was my guess at who she had got advice from :hohoho:

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Given your circumstances I would suggest looking at the Pop-in Dream Dri. It's a new version, and the microfibre has been replaced with minky which is topped with a stay dry layer. So baby's skin stays nice and dry, and minky is absorbent and quick drying. It's very slim fitting, and adjust well to fit most sizes with several rise settings on the front.

Microfibre for us has been a mixed experience. So far so good on my son, but my daughter was power weeing through bumGenius at 17 months when she got bladder control, and we were getting the "squish" problem. Switching to the pop-in, even the older style microfibre dream-dri worked fine until she potty trained 6 months later. The leg fit is a better one for containment.

Agree that microfibre will hold smells and detergent a bit more than other materials. But the drying time is certainly a bonus!!

A birth-potty set in the right nappy can work really well for a lot of people, though most of us on here are slightly addicted to trying different kinds. :giggle: :giggle: Is there somewhere near you or someone you know with cloth nappies you can go and see/feel/play with? That really helps!!!! Shopping online is hard and can be confusing. Will PM you :)

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:41 pm

You were right on target with the nappy lady...although she's been absolutely lovely, I have to say!

Thanks so much for the opinions, it's massively helpful. Just from being on this site, I'm realising more and more that buying a varied stash is the way to go.

I would love to 'play' with some nappies, but I'm new to the area and don't know a lot of people (and only one mum!) However, my one mum friend has loads of mum friends, one of which apparently uses real nappies. She only uses one sort however, so I although I could check hers out, it wouldn't exactly be an intro into the diversity of real nappy land.

Again, thanks so much for the help and if you know anyone in West London who wouldn't mind me feeling all of the family nappies, let me know!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 pm

If you want to give the microfibre a try, do. It might be handy for you to have at least 5 or 6 in your stash for when you are waiting for the rest of your stash to dry.

You could always use a pocket with a microfibre insert, like a bumgenius, then you could have bamboo or hemp boosters that you could add to the pocket for extra absorbancy.

I really would recommend that your whole stash isn't microfibre though as your lo is more likely to outpee microfibre than any other material.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Our problem with microfibre which I don't think anyone's mentioned so far is that because it is a manmade fibre it can be very sweaty. If we use it we end up getting rashes because the skin can't breathe properly... Just something to consider :)

My avatar
malina
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby malina » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 pm

my LO gets redish bum if i use MF insert in pockets. The only way to use it is to put a bamboo booster on top of it and not to use it on very hot days;) anyway, i hardly use MF this days.
Easyfits got MF on the other side of bamboo layer and that;s fine.

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies