hf1

First try at night and he's wet through :-/

My avatar
Dandelion
Clothie
Clothie

First try at night and he's wet through :-/

Postby Dandelion » Wed May 11, 2011 6:52 am

Okay, so I have a 15 month old son and and trying to swap him to cloth (will also be using cloth on new baby due in August!).
So he was in Mother-Ease one size with a snap in thingy and a fleece liner yesterday. He was fine all day, even did a poo and it was fine! Got him up this morning and he was wet through :-/ What did I do wrong? He's not a massive drinker and his disposables aren't usually overly full in the mornings so he's not a heavy wetter.

Thanks x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: First try at night and he's wet through :-/

Postby megansmummy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 am

Did you add extra boosting for overnight? How often did you change him yesterday? Just trying to work out how long the motherease lasted him. You will need to add some bamboo or hemp boosting to last overnight :)
Last edited by megansmummy on Wed May 11, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 am

I don't think Motherease are particularly good even as day nappies and I always boost day nappies when using them at night - if you try a dedicated night nappy you'll be more likely to find that it lasts the night.

I find it difficult to gauge how much a child is wetting using disposables so he might be a heavier wetter than you think.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 am

Did you boost the nappy at all? Cloth nappies will not generally last overnight unless boosted (most will last a maximum of 3 hours during the day if that depending on how heavy a wetter you have). Most people use a specifically designed night nappy which has more layers and is therefore absorbent enough to last the night.

My avatar
Dandelion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Dandelion » Wed May 11, 2011 7:04 am

No I didn't use a booster, where can I get them from? Not really sure what I'm looking for! I changed him at 8am, 12pm, 3pm, 5pm(because he did a poo) and 7pm yesterday and no leaks at all.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 am

We used Motherease day and night for years. You really do need to boost at night, as others say. We used to fold microfibre cloths in half and place those in and found bamboo inserts were brilliant too. You can technically use anything to boost though as long as it's absorbent (which fleece isn't). I've known people use old towelling socks, flannels, etc. It all helps.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 am

Also he is sleeping through, or does he wake for drinks/feeds?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 am

Boosters are available from online nappy sellers and eBay aswell if you search for bamboo or hemp ones then it will make a huge difference to the absorbancy :)

Also check out classifieds for some.good second hand ones!!

We like little lamb bamboo boosters and easypeasy hemp boosters :)

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am

Just agreeing with what others are saying, motherease may well be fine in the daytime but wont last overnight without extra boosting, as has been suggested get some bamboo and/or hemp to add to the nappy for overnight. Start out putting a few in (big bum!) and reduce the number until you find the right amount of absorbency for him :)

Lots of online nappy stores sell boosters and you can find some on ebay plus check out the classifieds here, often you can pick some up cheaper so you can trial and find what you like.

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies