hf1

Elastic failure: is my washing regime to blame?

My avatar
twm
Clothie
Clothie

Elastic failure: is my washing regime to blame?

Postby twm » Mon May 16, 2011 9:43 pm

Have bought cotton LL in GUC from various sellers, and am suffering 4 cases of elastic failure (on all sides) this week (out of about 10 similar condition nappies). Am I washing too harsh or am I just unlucky? I wash on 60C, with 40ml of powder (supermarket own brand), prewash + extra rinse. line dried except for once in a machine.

and either way, how can I replace the elastic? need a step by step guide for someone who never sews! the nappies still fine, be a shame to throw them out for lack of elastic.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Elastic failure: is my washing regime to blame?

Postby docmaggoo » Wed May 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Ive had cotton LL's for DS and we used our for over 2yrs.
I only did washes at 60 every month or so, when they were particularly dirty - I usually only do a 40 wash.
What does the label say for washing? regular 60 washes might be too high.
40ml powder sounds the right amount - so doubt its that!
Seem unusual for the elastic to go in all 3 places in one nappy together. Unless its one continuous piece in the nappy??
Im sure one of the WAHM mums can recommend how to repair them - why not post something in that section of CNT as well as in this section.
If you had a really good fitting wrap and nippa'd the nappy as well - would that get round the lack of elastic and give you a better fit for containment??
DS was really small when born and our LL's were too big, so with a snug wrap & nippa we managed to overcome this a get them to fit earlier.

My avatar
xnoodlesx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby xnoodlesx » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:36 am

How odd! I'm just on hear looking for advice on what nappies to go for next as pretty much ALL of my LL size 2's have elastic failure! I've just finished writing a letter to LL with a sample to send them as I'm not impressed my son is only 17 months and I was hoping they'd last him to potty training and another baby as well. I do also wash them at 60 but don't tumble dry them, wonder if it's a common problem?

My avatar
xnoodlesx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby xnoodlesx » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:38 am

P.S the legs are fine on mine it's only the backs that have gone x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:43 am

I hate to say it twn & xnoodlesx but the elastic failure is your fault. It specifically says on the little lamb website to wash at 30 degrees with an occasional wash at 60 degrees as washing at 60 effects the life of the velcro & elastic. That said I always washed my LL at 40 degrees & the elastic was fine in the size 1 but the size 2 didn't last at all but as I bought them new from the classifieds here I had no come back

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:44 pm

I just checked my little lamb fitted nappies (bought new about 4 months ago) and the label on the says to wash at 60c :-?

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:51 pm

I wash all nappies on 60 degrees every time to make sure they are properly sanitised.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 pm

becky1978 wrote:I wash all nappies on 60 degrees every time to make sure they are properly sanitised.

Yes i do too...LL's included :)

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:53 pm

megansmummy wrote:I just checked my little lamb fitted nappies (bought new about 4 months ago) and the label on the says to wash at 60c :-?

So does the label the couple I bought in a trial pack ~ 9 months ago.
Bit pants to say 60c on the nappy and 30c on the website, surely? :-? :-?

I also like to wash at 60c to ensure all the nasties have been properly killed off :|

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies