hf1

Bamboo with no dryer?

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Bamboo with no dryer?

Postby doobykat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:25 am

We've got a dehumidifier for those winter months when it's cold, damp & hard to get the nappies dry. All of our fitteds are bamboo and even our pockets have bamboo & hemp inserts... no quick drying stuff in sight :roll:
I usually just stick the nappies on an airer in the spare room, or bathroom, with the door closed and the dehumidifier on overnight and they dry pretty quickly - within 24hrs for ~16 nappies & boosters/inserts, including night nappies.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:38 am

Are you looking for pretty nappies or just nappies? How old is your little one?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

I do have a tumble dryer but i dont use it for nappies becuase i worry about it killing the elastic etc... (i do tumble if im absolutly desperate but certainly not normally)... all our nappies are bamboo I have a pop up washing like type thingi and i stand it in the bath as we have a little house and no room to hang washing out really...If its nice then i get them out on the line but they are normally in the bath on their washing line :) I also have some prefolds/terries that I can use and nippa if i need to and they dry really quickly (as back ups!) :)

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 am

We don't have a dryer.

For ds i had original tots bamboozles - these took about 2 days to dry on the airer in the conservatory in winter. we just put them on the radiators to help finish of the drying around the leg elastic as that was always the last part to dry. we had 15 of them, and that was his whole nappy stash until potty training. we also used a dehumidifier overnight which definitely speeds the drying time.

for dd we have much more variety but all are bamboo velour or bamboo fleece (or both), and i find that most will dry in a day on the airer upstairs - but it means you need 3 days worth of nappies if you wash every day - 1 days are being worn, 1 days are being washed, 1 days are drying ready to use the next day.

it does mean that there is constantly washing on the airer (or outside on nicer days, they dry much quicker there). It drives me nuts that i can never put the airer away and that our house constantly looks like a chinese laundry. if you have a small flat, you might not want the airer constantly out. the ones of mine that took longer than a day to dry have either been sold on or are in the back of the drawer waiting to be sold on as i just don't have the time to deal with the slow drying times.

My avatar
Charisse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Charisse » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I'm looking for practical over pretty, I have some pretty wraps for a 2 part system. My daughter is 4 months old and was 11lbs a fortnight ago. Any nappy recommendations gratefully received!

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:58 pm

i've got alot of bamboozles with ds2 and they are taking 1-2 days to dry especially in this damp weather with no heating on. i have a stack of cotton easy peasy qd bimbles and they have been a life saver on a cold damp week.
i'd mix and match your nappies for the weather, i have a huge outdoor washing line an indoor overhead airer and a stand up airer. tbh with my size 2's i'm going to get a few more cotton/hemp mix nappies as they are more absorbent than microfibre/cotton but dry faster than the bamboo.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 pm

I loved my bamboo little lambs. They are a great nappy. Little Lamb bamboo boosters are very absorbant. How about buying some of them to boost the nappies you currently have? That way you have the benefit of some extra absorbancy without the long drying time & expense of new nappies.

http://www.littlelambnappies.com/access ... e-boosters

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:35 pm

on a rainy or winter day I have to dry my nappies indoors, mostly bamboo inserts and some bamboo fitteds. luckily i have a good stash so as they take a bit longer to dry, i still have plenty to use. I have a fantastic clothes airer that doesn't take too much room from Ikea and sometimes the bamboo can take up to 48 hours to dry but sometimes faster and If i put next to radiator, that speeds it up. We don't have a tumbledryer.
The airer is this one and i have the 2 side bits more up so that it takes up slightly less room. I can get a whole nappy wash on there (2 in cloth) so it's perfect :)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50095091

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Charisse wrote:I'm looking for practical over pretty, I have some pretty wraps for a 2 part system. My daughter is 4 months old and was 11lbs a fortnight ago. Any nappy recommendations gratefully received!

Deffinatly bamboo little lambs :) they are fab :thumbsup:

PreviousNext

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies