hf1

Small OWW on a newborn?

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Small OWW on a newborn?

Postby queen bee » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm building up a nice little stash of small OWWs for bubba, but I only have 1 XS. The smalls seem quite small :giggle: so I'm considering just using smalls rather than XS. Has anyone used smalls on a newborn? And what size was your little one when they were born? My largest baby was 7lb 2oz. I have the very baby sewing pattern and I'm trying to work out whether to sew xs or just sew some more smalls? I also have an nice little stash of teenyfits :)

Please could you post pics of your newborn in xs or small OWWs please, so I can compare?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Small OWW on a newborn?

Postby Louise » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Mia weighs 8lb 3 oz today and the smalls are way too big for her still. The XSs have plenty of growing room still although I am having to boost them atm to get them to last 2 hours. I don't have any photos of her in a small but these are all XSs. The first ones are when she was hours old so only weighed 6lb 13oz, the others were taken last week. IMO they are a perfect first nappy ( I can't stand huge nappies on a newborn though).

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:08 pm

I only had a small one and even that was snug on Jake, but he was a big boy. So personally I'm glad we didnt have XS ones because they wouldnt have lasted long at all. This is Jake is a small OWW - cant remember exactly how old he was but he was only a few weeks old xx

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 pm

It depends if you mind them being a bit bulky really. I had some smalls and some xs and used them both from birth with no problems at all (Scarlett was 7lb 6oz). Personally if I was doing it again I'd stick to smalls because the xs didn't last that long :)

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:49 pm

I really really loved the XS on Darcie when she was first born, we only used them and the teenyfits untill she was about 6 weeks old...everything else was just too big for her... She was 7lbs 12oz born :)

XS taken at around 18 hours old~

XS under a wool soaker to show you how trim they are~ (about 3 weeks old here)

A small at 3 weeks old...she was about about 7.5-8lbs here. They were too big around her waist even though the rise was fine, i did find them too bulky for daytimes and we used them more at night to start with. She didnt go into the smalls during the day untill she was about 8 weeks old.

If i had to do a NB stash again I would have the XS again and more of them...I had 12 and I think i would go for 18-24 becuase i prefered them to the teenyfits so i found myself washing the OWW's to get them clean even when i had teenyfits left...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:11 pm

Just tried a S on Mia for you and the fit is really poor, massive leg gape that won't hold an explosive bf poo well at all. If you have a chunky legged baby then you might be ok but personally I would't use smalls from birth.

Mia yesterday in an XS

Today in an S

Also I don't know how but Linda has adapted the Very Baby pattern slightly so I don't know if the fit will be different with your homemade ones.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:13 pm

awww Louise, she is so so cute!! :widesmile:

I think if i could have made them then i DEFFINATLY would have just had a whole stash of them :giggle: Off topic really here but im totaly loving the mediums on Darcie, the fit is just amazing!! :wine:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:18 pm

megansmummy wrote:awww Louise, she is so so cute!! :widesmile:

I think if i could have made them then i DEFFINATLY would have just had a whole stash of them :giggle: Off topic really here but im totaly loving the mediums on Darcie, the fit is just amazing!! :wine:

Thank you, so is Darcie :D Good to hear the Ms fit well, I have 11 OTW! :oops: :giggle:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Louise wrote:Just tried a S on Mia for you and the fit is really poor, massive leg gape that won't hold an explosive bf poo well at all. If you have a chunky legged baby then you might be ok but personally I would't use smalls from birth.

Mia yesterday in an XS

Today in an S

Also I don't know how but Linda has adapted the Very Baby pattern slightly so I don't know if the fit will be different with your homemade ones.

Awww she is gorgeous x

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies