hf1

Mothercare shaped newborn nappies - any good?

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Mothercare shaped newborn nappies - any good?

Postby Juli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I just got myself 19 new Mothercare shaped newborn nappies off eBay really cheaply. They look like this: http://www.milliemoos.com/index.php?act ... erry-nappy I don't think Mothercare sell them anymore. At least I couldn't find them on their website.

They're fairly thin, but I don't think that's a problem, as I'll be changing nappies every 10 minutes anyway given how often a newborn poos. :roll: They don't have much in the way of elastic, but I figure if I fasten them with a nippa I can make them fit quite well. And a well-fitting cover over the top should help containment as well.

What do you think? Has anyone tried these? They only need to get me through the first few months until baby is big enough for Motherease One-Size.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Mothercare shaped newborn nappies - any good?

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Never seen them before but I don't think I would be to convinced by them, they look like they will need a fair bit of boosting, good luck x

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:51 pm

Was given some once and they were not very good or easy to use, used them to boost my disana tie-on nappies, though, and they did that really well! But, on reflection, I didn't try them with a newborn, and in a close fitting wrap, they'd probably be as good as a muslin.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 am

mudita wrote:Was given some once and they were not very good or easy to use, used them to boost my disana tie-on nappies, though, and they did that really well! But, on reflection, I didn't try them with a newborn, and in a close fitting wrap, they'd probably be as good as a muslin.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. And if they really are too thin even for a newborn I can always boost them. I'm just hoping they will be alright for poo containment. But I guess I won't know until I've tried them...

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:46 pm

I wasn't convinced by Sandys until I tried them, so you never know! Definitely worth a try though if they were bargains :thumbsup:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 pm

I have a few and they're not that bad.. they do need boosting, I used to put a LL bamboo booster and the fit was fairly good once you get the hang of them. Not my fav nappies, but I did use them a lot at the beginning!

My avatar
sportyminx
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby sportyminx » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:21 pm

I had some of these for Naomi and loved them! They we fab with a bamboo booster added inside - I nippa'd them and then once on turned the binding around the legholes inward and this closed any leg gaping and containment was never a problem :D
Sure I have a photo of here wearing one somewhere :giggle:

My avatar
belfastyank
Clothie
Clothie

Postby belfastyank » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

I bought the same ones on eBay. They're OK. I have a 5 week old that I use them on sometimes. I used prefolds with my first two daughters. Since I gave the prefolds away I replenished my nappy supply during pregnancy #3 and bought these Mothercare ones and also some bamboo shaped nappies. I LOVE the bamboo ones (haven't been able to figure out the brand) so I just tend to use the Mothercare nappies only when the bamboo ones are being washed/dried.

I feel like the Mothercare shaped nappies are a bit wide between a newborn babies legs, so not all nappy covers fit over them properly (Motherease airflow seem to work with them). Because I don't have them on my DD all that often, I've only had one incident so far of leaking poo. That's because they aren't elasticated around the legs. They are still better than prefolds for containment though. And yes, they are pretty thin. I haven't tried boosting them yet because for a newborn I'd rather just change them frequently than add more bulk. I certainly wouldn't put them on for overnight.

So all in all, if you've bought them cheaply off eBay, they're worth the money.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:28 pm

sportyminx wrote:I nippa'd them and then once on turned the binding around the legholes inward and this closed any leg gaping and containment was never a problem :D

What a great idea! That would certainly fix the problem of them being a bit wide between the legs and the lack of elastic. I don't think I would have thought of that on my own. So thank you for that great suggestion. Did you turn the front down at all, because they seem very long for a newborn as well?

I've got loads of boosters, so boosting them won't be a problem. And I've also got a selection of "proper" nappies for nighttime.

Thank you all for your input. It sounds like they should do the job quite nicely for the first couple of months or so until baby can fit into MEOS. :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies