hf1

Water meter

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Water meter

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:49 pm

just got this years water bill and it's nearly £40 a month so wondering about having a water meter fitted, anyone have one is it cheaper and worth doing??

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Water meter

Postby becky1978 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:51 pm

My water meter is much cheaper and there are 4 of us. I still pay £47 a month though (I live in Devon and South West Water are the dearest in the country I think for water rates :roll: ) but it would be £70 something rates else I think.

My avatar
lacemakingmum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby lacemakingmum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:54 pm

we paid £110 for the last 6 months on a meter for water and sewerage, but currently we have no nappy washes. I thnk when P was in Cloth it was another £10ish so I'm expecting a rise from the summer

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:55 pm

we had to have one fitted when we moved in, and it was great because tons cheaper... but that was pre-kids (and therefore pre-nappies), so not sure now whether it'd be cheaper or not now.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 pm

We have a meter and pay £21 a month for 4 of us in a 4 bedroom house - definately the cheaper option for us, although we are quite careful about how much we use.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Just to add - there is an in-between thing you can do. There is an "assessed meter charge" which aims to give you the metered charge without a meter which could be worth looking at

there is more info here about how to save money on water http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12759940

My avatar
SashaE80
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby SashaE80 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:27 pm

I was really nervous of the switch because although there are only 3 of us, I seem to wash a lot of nappies and we love showers, at least 1 each per day and we use a dishwasher. I was concerned that would bump up the price. Saying that we used to pay just over £100 a month. We switched and last month it was under £40!!! aaarrrrrgggghhhhh. I wish they could back date it to when we moved 5 years ago :-?
It's heart breaking to think how much we could have saved.
Switch!!!! now!

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:37 pm

The woman at the house we are moving to had arranged to have one fitted just at the point where we was deciding to go ahead with the house swap. I made her rearrage it and tell them she didn't want it as I just think for soon to be 5 of us with 2 in cloth it would cost us a fortune!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:27 pm

We've lived in houses before now where we've had a meter and found it cheaper - whilst the children were quite young. We enquired about having one fitted here and were told that as our family grew and then the children grow and use more water for bathing (no longer sharing showers, taking longer), toilet, etc. it wouldn't be worth it.

Next

Return to Money Matters