hf1

DEBT written off?

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

DEBT written off?

Postby smilinglou » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 am

We have some debt that we are struggling with just because of low income and the price of everything these days, dh was made redundant the year before last but now has a job and has just qualified and will be getting a pay rise soon, I only work 16 hours after going back from mat leave so we are slowly getting on track. We don't have huge amounts of debt but enough for it to be probably a couple of years or more for it to be paid off.
Anyway my question is I keep getting these texts saying the government are writing off peoples debt, I know they are just spam texts but is there any truth in this? Is there any help at all?
CAB tend to be a bit rubbish round here.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: DEBT written off?

Postby justme123 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 am

No - it's just spam. The argument is that some contracts are invalid due to some technicality, but I don't think there's much mileage in it. Go and check out moneysavingexpert.com for details on all this (and great advice on dealing with debt in a legal way!). But be warned that it doesn't go down very well on those forums to say you want to write off debt for nothing - they're all a bit you spent the money you should pay it back and not always that friendly :-?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:30 am

Sounds suss to me, it probably means an IVA or something which is not the best route out imo. Unfortunatlly I believe that if we create debt then we are obliged to pay it off.
You may however be entitled to claim back ppi if you ever paid it with finance, loans, credit cards etc, we did and got just over 9k back!!!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 am

I'm not a fan of PPI being paid back if was sold correctly and understood by the buyer ect.
My understanding is that they are generally IVA companies. Which if you can't pay may help but will leave you with a terrible credit rating you won't even be allowed certain debit cards and you would fail a credit search for a new job if one was required.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11 pm

KimmyM wrote:I'm not a fan of PPI being paid back if was sold correctly and understood by the buyer ect.

That is why people are claiming it back - because for one reason or another it was mis sold :wink:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:12 pm

smilinglou wrote:We have some debt that we are struggling with just because of low income and the price of everything these days, dh was made redundant the year before last but now has a job and has just qualified and will be getting a pay rise soon, I only work 16 hours after going back from mat leave so we are slowly getting on track. We don't have huge amounts of debt but enough for it to be probably a couple of years or more for it to be paid off.
Anyway my question is I keep getting these texts saying the government are writing off peoples debt, I know they are just spam texts but is there any truth in this? Is there any help at all?
CAB tend to be a bit rubbish round here.

Why not go for a financial review with you bank or an ifa, they will be able to help you xx

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Kirstyh wrote:
KimmyM wrote:I'm not a fan of PPI being paid back if was sold correctly and understood by the buyer ect.

That is why people are claiming it back - because for one reason or another it was mis sold :wink:

Yep, it needs to have been missold - usually added into loan repayments without being explained or sold to people who would never have been able to claim (eg self employed or not working)

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I was mis sold PPI with a bank loan when I was on income support but knew I wouldn't be able to claim it, it was put on automatically but with a 7 day cooling off period I just went in and cancelled it and it was refunded off my loan balance.

Some debt can be written off, I think it has to be over 6 year old with no reply from the from the person who owes it then it becomes statute barred. Dh has an old mobile contract that has been statute barred, he was mis sold it as a capped tariff and they let him run up a £200 bill one month, he refused to pay as was told it was capped at £50. Be warned though some company's are buying these debts and using threatening, illegal and under hand ways to claim it back. My mum is currently being chased for a so called statute barred debt which she actually payed off, they have been ringing my home phone trying to get hold of her. She's never been registered at this address or with this phone number. :evil:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes I understand that I use to work for a bank. And whilst alot of companies did mis sell it there are alot if people that were awear they had it and are now trying to claim money back. However would have could have claimed.
As above if you weren't eligible than of course you should get your money back. It really makes me mad when someone tries to screw someone else up just so they can hit target ect But dont get me started :)

Next

Return to Money Matters