hf1

New aldi convert!

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

New aldi convert!

Postby sugarplum » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I've just been to aldi and done a weekly shop plus a roast for 8 adults shop for 47 quid!!! Know where I'll be shopping from now on!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: New aldi convert!

Postby Rox » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Funny 'cause i've been thinking of nipping in to a new local'ish one to see what they have. Is it branded or foreign stuff?

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 pm

its mostly their own brands but its all very good quality. We often go to as their fruit and Veg is much nicer and its cheaper.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:32 am

I love aldi :giggle:
we started shopping their a bit back and lots of their stuff tastes nicer imo lots cheaper too :) hubby will only normally eat branded food :roll: but will quite happily eat aldis own (they copy brands really well ) i actually am starting to think that some of it is just the same stuff different packaging :giggle:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:01 am

emsy wrote:I love aldi :giggle:
we started shopping their a bit back and lots of their stuff tastes nicer imo lots cheaper too :) hubby will only normally eat branded food :roll: but will quite happily eat aldis own (they copy brands really well ) i actually am starting to think that some of it is just the same stuff different packaging :giggle:

I've thought that on a few things too!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:22 am

Their fakey Baileys is lovely, wines are good as well lol, oh yeah and the veg

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:42 am

I'm a recent convert too. I get all our fruit & veg, eggs, bread, milk, nuts, crackers, cheese, yoghurt etc from there. Their own brand biccies are lovely and I tried their beans last week which were fab too. I bought their premium lean minced beef & a free-range chicken too which were no different to Tesco or Sainsburys IMO. Their ham is much nicer than the cheap Tesco stuff too.

There are some things that I can't get in there but even so, we've reduced our average weekly bill from £100 to around £50 including the bits I get from Tesco - give or take a few quid depending on what I need that week.

Yay to Aldi :wine:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:45 am

Rox wrote:Funny 'cause i've been thinking of nipping in to a new local'ish one to see what they have. Is it branded or foreign stuff?

There are many foreign brands but also branded ones such as Tetley tea, Carlsberg lager, Cadburys choccy things, Marmite, Branston pickle and a few more. I gradually got around to trying some unbranded stuff and TBH in the main, there is little or no difference.

My avatar
Pickola
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Pickola » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 am

I swapped about 9 months or so ago because the fruit and veg is so cheap- they have 6 different fruit/veg each week at 49p, Super 6 it's called i think. We previously had a veg box delivered and after i had cancelled that (for one reason or another), i found i couldn't then go back to it as the value of Aldi's was so good :wine: .

I love shopping there, i'm always surprised when it comes to paying, having had a whole trolley full, that it costs so much less than i expect! As pp, there are many branded items, more i notice as the weeks go on, however, i've yet to try and Aldi item i've disliked- i used to have to get a few things from Tesco but the list is getting smaller and smaller! I only last week couldn't get a bog standard bag of porridge oats in Aldi, they only had instant oats, so got some from Tesco instead, went to Aldi yesterday and they now have a 1kg box for 75p (yet to compare price with Tesco).

My sister went this week for the first time and was really impressed, £65 instead of around £100 in Asda!

I like that i can get round quickly too as it's not huge- you don't have any where near as much variety as bigger supermarkets, but i like the lack of options- it's quicker and involves less thought :giggle: .

Next

Return to Money Matters