hf1

What age for crafting?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What age for crafting?

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26 pm

I agree with Ruth, not all children will like doing everything so you could maybe try different activities. What about building a den indoors, or making an 'assault course' with pillows, crawling under towels, through tunnels etc.

Maybe making a cardboard box into a car so he could help you cut out the shapes (DD loves using scissors!) and then colour them in and stick them on the box, then get in a drive the 'car' to the shops etc. What about making paper aeroplanes etc?

What TV programmes does he like to watch? are there any activities that they do on TV which you could do at home? DD loves Peppa Pig and not much else, but I try to replicate what we see Peppa do - so for example when they play at being cheeky snails then I get the washing basket and we play cheeky snails afterwards - I feel better about her watching TV if we are interacting about it and learning from it too.

*eta have you spoken to nursery to find out what they like to do there? DD loves messy play at nursery (water, cornflakes, flour etc) so although I don't like the mess at home I try to be relaxed about it sometimes - even things like starting her bath 30 mins earlier and allowing her to play for as long as she wants rather than it being a 'quick bath' - water is probably her favourite thing ever!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: What age for crafting?

Postby KimmyM » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:I agree with Ruth, not all children will like doing everything so you could maybe try different activities. What about building a den indoors, or making an 'assault course' with pillows, crawling under towels, through tunnels etc.

Maybe making a cardboard box into a car so he could help you cut out the shapes (DD loves using scissors!) and then colour them in and stick them on the box, then get in a drive the 'car' to the shops etc. What about making paper aeroplanes etc?

What TV programmes does he like to watch? are there any activities that they do on TV which you could do at home? DD loves Peppa Pig and not much else, but I try to replicate what we see Peppa do - so for example when they play at being cheeky snails then I get the washing basket and we play cheeky snails afterwards - I feel better about her watching TV if we are interacting about it and learning from it too.

And of corse in this whether easy to copy is muddy puddles. We quiet often get dressed in our wet weather gear and splash away.
Treasure hunt is another fab here I just hide some chocolate and give h a picture is a place that will have a picture is a different place (you can see where this is going). Flying kites (helium balloons tied to his wrist) is a pretty all year round one.
Hiding plastic animals in a big box of ooze (cornflour water mix) seems to apeal to my monster.

Previous

Return to Activities and things to do with your children