Art and craft for little ones?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Art and craft for little ones?

Postby Aeseldyr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Homemade Play-Doh (not harmful to eat)
Drawing - have these really nice Big creons from Stockmar that are easy for little hands to hold on to

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Have a look at Early learning centre they usually have rolls of paper and really good supply's for little people.

Chalks and blackboards are always good at that age

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mamavan2 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:15 pm

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:33 pm

allierat wrote:I honestly wouldn't give a child that young felt tip pens, I'd stick to wax crayons. Even washable/child safe felt tips always end up somewhere they shouldn't and sometimes fail to wash well, plus little ones often press far too hard and get frustrated when the pen breaks or runs out.

Interesting, I had thought these would be best as I've read a few things on line saying about how hard they need to press with crayons and having seen him wiht his first few efforts the last week or so with pencils I get that so that was why I thought toddler felt tips may have been the answer @allierat . I'll certainly get some of these then - is there any that you can recommend?

@mamavan2 they look fab too!

I need to make some playdoh!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:13 pm

Chalk and patios, or lining (wall) paper and finger paints

My avatar
allierat
Clothie
Clothie

Postby allierat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:38 am

clothmama wrote:Interesting, I had thought these would be best as I've read a few things on line saying about how hard they need to press with crayons and having seen him wiht his first few efforts the last week or so with pencils I get that so that was why I thought toddler felt tips may have been the answer @allierat . I'll certainly get some of these then - is there any that you can recommend?

@mamavan2 they look fab too!

I need to make some playdoh!

You can of course try felt tips if you want to see what you think, but after 2 kids and work in schools/nurseries I don't rate them much for under 5's. Any nice chunky wax crayon would do, crayola is usually a popular brand but I've had cheap ones that were just as good.

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mamavan2 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 pm

My 2 year old had found the "moonsand" very interesting :)
We've not tried the paind, but I think she would like that too :giggle:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Can't remember do you have a bath? If so let him sit in there with some paint and a nice, chunky brush and let him make a mess. Otherwise I'd recommend edible paint at that age or in a ziplock bag as already suggested. Aqua doodles are good and a paintbrush with just water on and let him paint the stone floor (or am I making the floor up?)! Sand tray is always good for sensory and motor skills. Sticky back plastic taped to the high chair (sticky side up) and provide whatever for him to stick on. Pipe cleaners and colanders make for very artistic sculptures!

Previous

Return to Activities and things to do with your children