hf1

Books for older children

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Books for older children

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:46 am

Hello, I'm trying to think of some nice books for slightly older children, aged about 8years and up.

What sort of books do your children enjoy or is there something that sticks in your memory from being about that age?

I'm so out of touch with YA fiction.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Books for older children

Postby littlesez » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 am

Roald Dahl, any of them :widesmile:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am

Iris would read Roald Dahl forever. Both my niece and nephew (who are a bit older) have loved the David Walliams books - very Dahl-inspired and highly amusing if you're smalll. :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 am

littlesez wrote:Roald Dahl, any of them :widesmile:

This! Louis and I currently reading The Witches!

Not sure about for girls but my boys love (or have loved!) at the 8ish age things like Horrid Henry Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Joël also suggested the Phillip Pullman Northern Lights Trilogy (probably more 9-10 or a mature 8 year old.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:42 am

What sort of books is Josh into @clothmama ? Need Christmas ideas.

One of our nephews was into the Alex cross series but can't remember what age that was! X

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 am

My 7 and 9 year olds like Roald Dahl and Horrid Henry too. @clothmama we're reading the Witches atm too! Just finished the Twits last week. I want to get Amy some new books but no idea what to get :-?

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 am

Jacob loves (and has done for a couple of years, so since he was 8) Artemis Foul books by Eoin Colfer, Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage, and has loved all of David Walliams' books. He has read the Hobbit at least 3 times in the last 3 or 4 years, and has recently started getting into Terry Pratchett's bookers for YA (Truckers, Amazing Maurice, Hat full of sky etc).
Half the time he reads non-fiction, devouring various science, nature and dinosaur/evolution books. We thoroughly recommend NG for kids magazine. :thumbsup:
He would also be gutted if there were no Beano Annual in the house come Christmas; we found this one out when DSD moved out, and took her copy with her after Crimbo before he had read it :shock:
Non-PC I know, but he much prefers the older (I prefer classic!?) ones, rescued from my attic where the demon whacker etc still make an appearance :giggle:
A couple of years ago, he like good old Just William, and flitted briefly through Roald Dahl, but is not much of a fan (neither was I, maybe I read it with 'less good voices' when he was younger...)
Books on his shelf that seem to sit there are Horrid Henry, Flat Henry and Harry Potter but he doesn't read them, although presumably they are popular with other boys his age...
For Crimbo he has asked for Skullduggery Pleasant and Percy Jackson books, following library borrows which he enjoyed.
Hope all this helps, Good luck xx

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 am

Wow @cuppachaplz you have a right book worm there :)

I bought Josh a Terry Pratchett last year, not sure what he thought though. @clothmama???

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:02 am

@clothsista, he was very late starting reading (like literally not until he was 8), so I guess he's making up for lost time.
I suspect also some lights out delaying...

Next

Return to Book Club