hf1

August's read - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo chat

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: August's read - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo chat

Postby Annette » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:18 am

winniewheresmypooh wrote:Also the kroner was a bit lost on me as I have no idea how much that is actually worth IYSWIM.

Yeah that got me too, when they were talking about Salander and how much she had in her bank account and then later on in the book, I did struggle to visualise the significance of the sums being talked about.

winniewheresmypooh wrote:I really didn't like that the characters were refered to by their surnames so frequently. Found it a bit reportish

I found it a bit stupid with Henrik because then he would talk about him as Vanger - but they are all Vanger!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:22 am

winniewheresmypooh wrote:The build up was that Lisbeth and Blomkvist would get together by the end. I really hoped that they would.

When Salander saw Blomkvist with *whatshername" (told you I was rubbish remembering character names :giggle: ) I did actually go "Oh :( " out loud as I really wanted her to get her man and as the Harriet thing was such a Hollywood ending I assumed she would.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:49 am

I'd assumed from the start that Harriet had run away so that bit wasn't a great suprise to me...

The whole sexual violence theme of the book was rather OTT if you ask me, it could have been done much less bluntly - I felt it was kind of dropped in as he couldn't think of anything else to put there in the plot if that makes sense?

I did enjoy reading this book but I'm not bothered about reading another one - I did feel quite let down by the ending but not for any specific reason really...
Perhaps I need to read it again but it felt like there was so much that was missed out - does that make sense?

I did want some sort of 'freedom' for Lisbeth though e.g. Blomkvist telling her it was Aspergers and her going ooooooh and getting out of the system properly but I guess that would have been against her character of going TO anyone...

kt24 wrote:I'm finding it difficult to organise my thoughts on this one...............

Me too...

kt24 wrote:I liked the way it switched between Blomkvist and Salander in the first half until they joined forces. It was interesting trying to work out how the two stories were going to be linked.
Yes I liked this too...

I do agree that the swedish references left me a bit lost but it is a translation...

And we never did find out what Susannah or whateverhernamewas in the shop knew...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am

Velvetsteph wrote:And we never did find out what Susannah or whateverhernamewas in the shop knew...

I had forgotton about her :-?

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:46 am

Annette wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:And we never did find out what Susannah or whateverhernamewas in the shop knew...

I had forgotton about her :-?

me too.

jn, ;l ut (lucas' contribution)

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Well the copy I ordered from the library arrived yesterday :roll: , and given I paid a reservation fee I've promised myself I'll read it, but I've now read all your thoughts on it, daft woman that I am. Sounds interesting enough to still read it though, despite knowing the ending :giggle:

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby moonfruit » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:30 pm

I found the first couple of chapters of the book quite hard going but found after the characters became more established that I really began to enjoy reading it. I agree that the sexual abuse of Lisbeth was OTT but think it was used as a shock tactic. The author could have handled the situation in a less graphic manner and still established the abusive culture that Lisbeth lived in.

I was also disappointed at the ending, but I'm not sure how I'd have wanted it to end either. I have got the next in the series but haven't started reading it yet.

Previous

Return to Book Club