hf1

Blueberry wicking

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Blueberry wicking

Postby Frances » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:09 pm

I've just bought a (pre-loved) Blueberry which is gorgeous, but unfortunately both times I've used it it's started wicking within an hour. I've used the standard Blueberry insert it came with. Any ideas? They're so popular so I'm sure this can't be a standard problem. I've Googled the problem and the only advice I can find is to tumble dry it on hot so the PUL melts and forms a better seal, which I'm reluctant to do in case I wreck it. Thanks! Frances

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Blueberry wicking

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:25 pm

You won't wreck it by tumbling it hot - it's not exactly that the PUL melts but basically there are kinda rods in the fabric which get all mussed up and tumbling straightens them all back up again - rubbish explanation but I saw it properly explained somewhere and provided you only do an OCCASIONAL tumble - and at that only for 10mins or so you'll be ok...

I have tumbledried pockets occasionally when they've got a bit leaky and it's worked for us...

SO I would give it a shot as you won't ruin it by doing one quick hot tumble and you've got nothing to loose really...

Now again you say you used the standard blueberry insert with it - is it a blueberry OS with a hemp and MF insert? Or was the insert just microfibre?
Not sure how old your LO is but it could also be that just a MF insert isn't enough either and your LO did a power wee!! Unless of course the stuffing is similar to that which you've had success with in other pockets...

Hope that makes sense!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

I have the same problem with our OS Blueberry. I think that the MF/hemp insert that comes with it makes the nappy too large for DD. She's such a skinny minnie that the leg seals just aren't any good for her. There doesn't seem to be any gaping holes or anything, though, so it's a bit confusing. I think I'm going to start using the nappy with just an Easy Peasy hemp insert and a MF cloth, to try and reduce the bulk a bit and hope that works. Otherwise, it might have to go. :( I really wanted to love this nappy, as it's so pretty and one that I wanted for a long time.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:08 pm

Have to say the sized blueberry MF inserts I have are very bulky compared with the fuzzi ones I have...
Perhaps just stuff it with something else like pp says? Easypeasy hemp plus a mf cloth sounds like a good solution...

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:11 am

Thaks both! Not sure what the insert is - it's double-length and the two halves seem to be different materials - poss microterry and hemp. I'll try tumble drying it on hot, plus slimmer inserts, and will make sure that it's tight around the legs. DD is almost 6 months and a super-heavy wetter but our other pockets with microterry and hemp work fine. Fingers crossed!!

My avatar
nicola g
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nicola g » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:15 am

Good luck :D and let us know how you get on.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Will do! Thanks again all

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:58 am

Result! Put it in the dryer on hot after last two washes and no more wicking since. Thanks! :wine:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Brilliant!

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies