Bamboo inserts - how many layers

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Bamboo inserts - how many layers

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 am

Hi

I'm just starting out with the reusables and have had a look through the forum but couldn't find an answer so hopefully someone can help and I'm sorry if its already been asked before..

I want to buy some bamboo inserts. I've been looking at the Little Lambs Bamboo Boosters on FIll-your-pants which are £12 for 10 http://www.fill-your-pants.com/inserts-and-boosters/little-lamb-bamboo-boosters.html

and also at some Bamboo inserts on eBay which are £8.99 + P&P £3.99 so Total £12.98 for 10 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300692470576?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1054

The Little Lambs are 2 layers and when I messaged the seller on eBay they said theirs are 3 layers so my question is would the LL 2 layers or the eBay 3 layers be better?

Also if possible could I check about how many would be a good place to start with putting in? I'm going to be using them on a 2 year old toddler who goes through 3-4 disposables a day in mainly pocket nappies. I also have some microfibre inserts so was thinking to start out with 1 bamboo, 1 microfibe and a microfleece liner through the daytime - does that sound about right?

At night he sleeps a good 12 hours and his nappy isn't too bad in the morning so would 2 bamboos, 1 microfibre and a microfleece liner be enough? We find we change his nappies more from poops than wees as it is quite rare he has a full nappy from wee even in the morning.

Thanks and hopefully someone can help.

xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Bamboo inserts - how many layers

Postby Kirstyh » Thu May 10, 2012 11:39 am

The little lambs are just boosters not inserts so you will probably need something a bit better like now I can never spell this but petite dessous which are great, I wouldn't bother with the microfibre personally as it just squished wee out.

Sorry for being brief but I am just dashing out x

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu May 10, 2012 11:45 am

I think it will probably come down to trial and error tbh but it look like the Little Lambs are boosters so are designed to be added as more absorbency to an already stuffed nappy.

The more layers of bamboo you have, the more absorbency you should have but this depends on the quality of the material and bamboo can take a lot of washes to come up to full absorbency (from my experience 8-10). Also if it's a boy you have you can just fold them over and place at the front of the nappy as that's the wet zone which becomes over saturated.

Lots of people use microfibre as well as bamboo as it absorbs faster than bamboo so it all depends on if your LO does big wees in one go or not.

Does he sleep on his tummy? If so you might want a bit more bamboo for night as microfibre can act like a sponge and the wee can get squashed out of it again.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu May 10, 2012 11:54 am

The little lamb boosters are as PPs said boosters and probably won't be great as inserts on their own so I'd go for the 3 layer. We don't get on with microfibre in pocket nappies at all (it just causes leaks), our bombproof combination is a P'tit Dessous bamboo insert with an Easy Peasy hemp underneath. Also there are very few children who can wear a pocket nappy with just a little extra boosting overnight so you might need to look at an alternative for nighttime use. Nappies by Mini pockets are very generously sized so you'll be able to stuff them lots! I used them on my son overnight until fairly recently.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

I use a thirsties hemp prefold to stuff my pockets. They are really really thin and very absorbant. I can also get away overnight in an easyfit stuffed with 2 thirsties prefolds. Stink outpees out designated night nappies, but this combo is bomb proof for us

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dodda » Thu May 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I think most of the pockets I've got coming come with microfibre inserts but by the sounds of them they probably won't be much good some possibly have bamboo and there are some AIOs so not sure whats in them. I haven't ordered any inserts yet so what would be a good mixture to try out? P'tit Dessous, Easy Peasy hemp, thirsties prefolds, the ebay ones, any others? Also I had a quick google for the P'tit Dessous but could only find them out of stock could anyone recommend a website please?

He doesn't wee too much and goes through 3 -4 disposables a day (generally changed for poop not wetness) and his nappy doesn't seem too full in the morning. He is quite an active sleeper so I think its probably best to prep for him sleeping on his tummy and that's a good idea about bulking the front out a bit. Our DD could wee from England but sometimes his nappies barely feel wet at all. He drinks quite a lot but his doctor said something about his poop taking a lot of the moisture....

Do all inserts / boosters need to be washed 8-10 times to start absorbing properly and do they have to be full washes or would quick washes do the job?

Thanks for all the advice I just can't wait for everything to come so I can start putting it to good use..

xx

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu May 10, 2012 3:07 pm

I never bother pre-washing new nappies/inserts, I just change sooner the first few times as I know they wont be as absorbent. I have a tummy sleeper, and for night time I have one tri-folded thirsties prefold, and then I trifold another and then fold that in half so its half the length. I stuff these into an easyfit with the extra folded pre-fold in the wet zone at the front. Works a treat for us and no leaks at all

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I have a 17 month old who is quite light on the wee front. I use pocket nappies with a microfibre insert on the top and either a ll or a totsbots bamboo booster underneath during the daytime. I definitely wouldn't use pockets at night time - I use a 2 piece, totsbots bamboozle stretch with a totsbots fleece wrap. You might find it better to stick with disposables at night until you get the daytime combo sorted.

I only pre-washed new nappies / boosters once. Then I just changed the nappies a bit more frequently for the first few washes.

My avatar
dodda
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dodda » Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely helped. I've now ordered some hemp inserts, bamboo inserts, and a new generation close pop in and night time booster. I'll also have the microfibre inserts that come with some of the nappies. I'd like to give the p'tit dessou (sorry about spelling) but can't find any in stock so will just have to keep looking. Hopefully that'll give me something to play around with for now.

Xx

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies