hf1

Am I doing something wrong? (BG)

My avatar
claireb
Clothie
Clothie

Am I doing something wrong? (BG)

Postby claireb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:34 pm

We have the BG version 3's. My LO is 5 months and around 14lb and I am already starting to use it on the largest setting. He is a skinny baby as well. Should it be lasting much longer before going to this setting? When I have used it on this setting though it is leaking at the top as the insert doesn't seem to stay right in the top.
Thanks

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Am I doing something wrong? (BG)

Postby Annette » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:09 pm

Mmmm well, Ben is 5 months and about 15lbs. We only have BG v2 but he wears it on the middle setting and it works perfectly. Have you tried it on the middle one?

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Hia,

Charlotte is 4 months and over 15lbs and she is long and slim, and we are still using them on the lowest setting - with no problems - i have mainly V2's - but also have a couple of V3's and have noticed no difference in either.

I use the small microfibre insert and a bamboo booster during the day - and the big microfibre insert and a bamboo booster at night - and Charlotte is a heavy wetter! We are just moving over to hemp inserts when they arrive and have been washed a few times! When you say the insert isn't staying at the top - is it the big insert you are using - and have you unpoppered it?

I really can't imagine it needing to be on the biggest setting already! how far does it come up on the biggest setting - in relation to his tummy button?

My avatar
claireb
Clothie
Clothie

Postby claireb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:28 pm

Yes, have been on the middle setting for a while now but seems to come up quite short on him. Next time I change him I will see how far it comes up in relation to his belly button.
Yes, have unpoppered on the largest setting, but not fully unpoppered though, maybe that is where I was going wrong? I am just using the largest microfibre insert only and over the last few days they have been wicking at the legs too (on med setting) after 2½ hours, whereas he could go longer than that before. Do I need an extra insert? What about the small one it came with? Thanks

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:26 pm

If you're on the top setting - i'd have the booster completely unpoppered as then it has nowhere to go then and should stay in position! As he gets bigger he'll be weeing more so more boosting definitely needed,

i'd definitely say to get some boosters - either bamboo or hemp to go in as well - and in the mean time use the newborn booster too -and hopefully they will last a bit longer!
I have the little lamb bamboo boosters (in large) which are £10 for 10 and am just waiting on a delivery of easy peasy hemp boosters after they were recommended on here!

HTH
Cheryl

My avatar
claireb
Clothie
Clothie

Postby claireb » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks. This morning I have tried the medium setting again with the insert poppered to the smallest setting as I always had them fully poppered before, so maybe this was it? If still wicking then I will try what you said. How are you getting along with the bamboo boosters, how long do they last and do they bulk the nappy up a lot more?

My avatar
Cherylw
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Cherylw » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm

bamboo is brilliant ! a lot slimmer and more absorbant than microfibre. and i think hemp is slimmer again -but really absorbant!

I've been using just the newborn insert and a bamboo booster during the day and they're fine for a good 3 hours. at night time i use the thick microfibre insert and a bamboo booster and get 12 hours. They were lasting longer but now she is weeing more - thats why i've gone for the hemp inserts as well! liquid can squish out of the microfibre with it being manmade as it holds it between the fibres - whereas bamboo and hemp absorb the liquid into the fibre as they are natural fibres - but absorb more slowly - so it is useful to use microfibre on top of them.

using the newborn insert and a bamboo booster keeps the nappy really slim, and should also be slim when i start using the hemp boosters.

My avatar
lilchick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lilchick » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Hi girls hope you dont mind newbie here jumping in, but won't take me long to find my way around!!
I have just regeistered on the site to ask very similar Q, how are you getting on now claireb?
I have been using a mixture of bamboozles, little lambs, happy heineys and BG on ds who is now approaching 17 weeks and is wellll over 14lbs (havent had him weighed since 11 weeks when he was 14.5lbs but its on my to do list for next week!)

to sum up my similar Q, BG were great -never leaked once and held bf poos no bother- until i went up to next popper size and now they leak if we go over 3 hours, or is this normal wearing time!! they are leaking sometimes well before the 3 hours, bf poos i can understand leaking out, but i dont understand the wee's leaking? i moved up the poppers as there were sore marks on his legs so thought they would be more comfy for him if a bit more give around his legs. I'm putting the insert on the next popper size down to make it longer and have just started using extra insert to give more absorbancy so they seem to be holding up a bit better. They seem to be wet lately too when Dh has changed his nappy so maybe he is just not closing it securely enough. Ds is long but has chunky legs too so don't want to have to tie too tightly! Bg are our preferred nappies so I'd like to figure out how to make them more leakproof as I am going to sell on the rest of our stash, maybe keep some LL though, i like these but dh hates the fiddling around with wraps...

long story short, claireb how are you getting on with the advise posted here!!!

My avatar
claireb
Clothie
Clothie

Postby claireb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Sorry lilchick, I never noticed your reply until now!
T is now around 18lb and have been using the BG mainly totally unpoppered with the newborn insert as an extra but not yet got round to buying anything else, but will still look into it. I still strangly find that the nappy is very small in the rise though and often his poo goes right up the back of the nappy and nearly out of the back. Without an extra insert, just the mf one, it lasts 2 hours and with the extra 2½-3.

Next

Return to Pocket Cloth Nappies